Chilli-fried potted shrimp.

Started by manxman, December 06, 2008, 02:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Potting is an old method of preservation which has been in use for hundreds of years, this recipe may give your cardiologist palpitations but IMHO a little of what you fancy does you no harm at all!! ::)

On this side of the pond a shrimp is anything with a tail smaller than about 1cm / 0.5 inches cooked and peeled, anything bigger is considered a prawn!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1-2 small green chillies, leave the seeds in
200g / 7oz unsalted butter
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 small bay leaf
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
200g / 7oz peeled brown shrimps
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
sea salt
fresh ground black pepper

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a medium sized pan and add the garlic and green chillies, saute over medium heat until garlic is light brown.
2. Add the butter and reduce the heat, let it melt.
3. Add the lime juice, bay leaf, nutmeg and anchovy paste and simmer for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the shrimps, coriander and onion. Simmer for short while and remove from heat.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Let cool to room temperature, when butter starts to set put mixture in suitable small containers. (e.g. ramekins)
7. May be stored in fridge or freezer, remove from fridge about 15 minutes (freezer longer!) before use to let butter soften.
8. May be served warm or cold, warm is my preference.
9. Serve on toast, brown bread best. Slice of lemon optional.

This recipe has gone down really well with friends and family,  I did double quantities to start with but now plan on quadrupling for my next batch.

Recipe is more or less one from a new recipe book; Fish Indian Style by Atul Kochhar which is thoroughly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Indian-Style-Simple-Recipes/dp/1904573835

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;

You have this way of posting recipes on the day I plan on doing food shopping. This looks like another interesting recipe. I may try this today. It will definitely be a variation from the food I've been eating lately.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteYou have this way of posting recipes on the day I plan on doing food shopping.

Hahaha............. perhaps an apology is in order?!  ;) :D

I have just got home with a kg / 2 lb of Morecambe Bay Brown Shrimps........ no prizes for guessing what I am doing this afternoon!  ;D

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=52
Manxman

3rensho

That looks mighty tasty Manx.  Please post pix when it's finished.  Shrimp:Butter 1:1 is my kind of recipe!! 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Right now I'm kicking myself in the butt. I forgot to buy shrimp, so everything is on hold until Monday.

The fresh coriander threw me off for a second, until I remembered that coriander seeds comes from cilantro.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Buck36

I don't know if I have ever seen brown shrimp?

I read they have a different taste as compared to the white shrimp. Do you find them in specialty stores?

Gizmo

This does sound real tasty and shrimp is one of my weak spots.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteI don't know if I have ever seen brown shrimp

They are fished quite extensively in two or three parts of the UK, they are usually found in shallow water and even rock pools at low tide. Not sure if they are found on the other side of the Atlantic?.

I have seen several recipes for potted shrimp saying that if brown shrimp is not available pink/white shrimp will be fine.  :)
Manxman

Buck36

Manxman thanks for the info. The recipe looks like a good one!

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;
Thanks.

I finally got all the ingredients to make this dish. This dish is super great, I just have to worry about over indulgence. First serving (which should have been my only serving at one setting) was over whole wheat bread. It was so good I decided to make another serving, but this time I served it over thick sliced toasted sourdough bread, and that was fantastic.

Today I'm going to serve it over drained ramen noodles. They cook fast, and I generally throw the seasoning packet away and season the noodles myself.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Really pleased you like it Habs, choice of bread looks great too. Not thought of eating it with noodles but I will give it a try.

I gave most of my original batch away as Christmas presents and left myself with none ........ careless move!  :-[  There is another 2lb / 1kg of brown shrimps sitting in the freezer and I plan on making another batch this weekend.  :)
Manxman

pensrock

This is a must do for me. Thanks manxman!

Only problem for me is which kind of pepper to use?
Chile, Cayenne, Habs, Nagas, Penos or smoked penos?
Decisions, decisions...... I'll go with the cayennes!  ;D