Kids asked for some Goodfella Food

Started by Smoking Duck, January 02, 2009, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

The kids asked me to make some Goodfella food (that's what they call Italian food), so I got up early and started some lasgana.  Thought you might want to follow the journey.  While the bulk of this is not smoked, I did throw the mozzarella, parmesan and provolone in the smoker for a light smoke (~40 minutes of smoke, 10 days ago), so the cheese was smoked.

The first step to a good lasagna is a good meat sauce.  Started out with sausage, ground beef, onions and garlic and browned it up:

Added the rest of ingredients, including tomatoes, some sauce and paste and numerous spices along with some fresh parsley:

While I let that simmer for four hours on the stove, I made some of these for Momma and the Yardapes:

Hard to beat fresh cinnamon rolls with a homemade vanilla icing!  Once the sauce has been simmering long enough, boil your lasagna noodles.  While they're boiling, line the bottom of a 9x13 pan with about 2 cups worth of your meat sauce.

Lay your first layer of noodles down:

Then cover with ricotta mixture.  I simply took 16 oz of ricotta cheese, one egg, 1/2 t of smoked salt and 2 T of fresh cut parsley.  Spread about half on the first layer of noodles:

I then put about 1/3 of my smoked mozzarella slices on top of that and covered with a little more meat sauce:

Added some freshly grated smoked parmesan to that layer:

Then simply repeated the layers again and topped with a combination of smoked mozzarella and smoked provolone:

After 50 minutes in the oven (25 covered with aluminum foil and the last 25 uncovered):

And finally, plated and served with some homemade italian bread with olio d'aliva:

SO, while not an entirely smoked dish, it did have the hint of smoke.  Next time when I'm not pressed for time, I'm going to smoke the italian sausage and ground beef with a cold smoke before browning. 

Molto Bene!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

That looks great! Been a long time since I had some lasagna.

deb415611

Wow Duck that looks awesome  :)

I have been trying to decide what to make to bring up to my sister-in-laws this weekend.  I have some smoked provolone in the fridge, sausage I made last weekend in the freezer  ... Thanks Duck

Cinnamon rolls look awesome too!

Tenpoint5

Looks AWESOME Duck!!!
Send me a plate. its lunch time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

I'd eat that in a moment even though I am wondering if the Spearmint Skoal went into the sauce or was it just sprinkled on top?  LOL

But what I'd run you over to get to is the cinnamon rolls!!!   Those look yummy and I don't care if that sounds girly!   Ever since my DM2 diagnosis, my conspicuous consumption of cinnamon rolls has been curtailed.  

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Duck

Thanks guys (Deb, I use the term guy as an all-gender exclusive term  ;D).  This recipe is by far the best lasagna I've ever done and I'm certainly not trying to brag that this is better than any lasagna I've had from any restaurant (I say that because it's not my recipe).  The smoke flavor isn't that strong and sort of reminds me of pizza done in a wood oven.  I do think it would have a much smokier flavor had I cold-smoked the sausage and beef, but still very good.  

This meal in all actuality was planned as our anniversary/my birthday meal.  The kids always ask me what I want to make myself for my birthday and I asked them what they wanted.  Was hoping they'd say brisket or pulled pork but they asked for some Goodfella food, so this is what I turned out.  It was extremely delicious......just picked up another recipe for a different gravy that I'm going to try next time.  This one wasn't very spicy, so next time, I'll try this with a hot italian sausage.

SD

PS.  Shakespeare, no one was supposed to see the secret ingredient  ;D  I've been chewing since Jesus was a corporal and just can't seem to kick the habit.  That and smoking food are my only vices and it's not like I'm kicking the cats or anything  :o ;)

westexasmoker

That looks yummy SD!

You ever tried deep fried lasgana.....Talk about a healthy meal, but its oh so good!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

No, I haven't WTS.  I'd be interested in learning that process though.

SD

seemore

SD, that is some righteous-lookin' lasagne!!!!  The wife makes our lasagne too, and the last time she even made the ricotta cheese to go in it!
If interested in the recipe for the ricotta, let me know.
It was easy to make and very, very good to eat!

I'd be interested in your recipe for the lasagne sauce, too. 

P.S.  What time is breakfast?  I want a cinnamon roll!

Seemore

FLBentRider

SD,
That is some B1tchin' lookin goodfella food!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: seemore on January 02, 2009, 02:37:27 PM
SD, that is some righteous-lookin' lasagne!!!!  The wife makes our lasagne too, and the last time she even made the ricotta cheese to go in it!
If interested in the recipe for the ricotta, let me know.
It was easy to make and very, very good to eat!

I'd be interested in your recipe for the lasagne sauce, too. 

P.S.  What time is breakfast?  I want a cinnamon roll!

Seemore

I'd love the recipe for the ricotta cheese.....PM me the recipe and I'll PM the recipe for the lasagna

Thanks!

SD

PS.. What time can ya make it here for breakfast?  If you're coming, I'll throw a batch of sticky buns in as well.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 02, 2009, 04:08:30 PM
SD,
That is some B1tchin' lookin goodfella food!

Tasted even better than it looked!

Guido

westexasmoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 02, 2009, 01:20:29 PM
No, I haven't WTS.  I'd be interested in learning that process though.

SD

SD you've already done the hard part......if you have any leftovers refridge overnight and then cut into squares, dredge in flour then a beaten egg and then bread crumbs.  Heat your oil to 350 and fry until golden about a minute or so!  Not one of your healthier meals, but its some good vittles!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

I do believe I'm going to have to give that a try, WTS!  Thanks for the great idea.

SD