Door seal loose/Box temp issues

Started by iahkaferoaster, January 14, 2008, 05:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahkaferoaster

1) I have a door seal that is loose in a few places and comes off the back corner(hinge side) totally. How do I fix this?

2) I can never seem to get may Bradley past 210F with meat in it unless it is warm out. Tried to do jerky this weekend (ambient temp was 55F, was in the back of my garage as it was windy out if this help), and it never got past 185-190F. Granted this is a good temp more or less for jerky, but I would have liked to have done 200F on the nose. I have seen in other posts that a heating element may need cleaning, but I cannot seem to get my mind around the fact that a bit of crust could affect them box temp that much. My Maverick reads the same there about to the door temp, so I have at least some quality control for both gauges. Help here.
I hunt, therefore I eat.

KyNola

Are you sure your heater element in the tower is functioning properly?  Make sure all your connections are secure.  With those conditions you should have had no problems reaching the temp you desired.  Yesterday in 38 degree weather with a breeze my BDS had no problem maintaining any temp I needed.

KyNola

Mr Walleye

Your door seal is replaceable. Here is another member's (BeGolf25) web site where you will find the door seal for $9.99:
http://www.yardandpool.com/home.php?cat=117

Most people find the door seal has a tendency to stick after a few smokes. The solution to this is simply wipe down the seal after each smoke and you won't have a problem.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iahkaferoaster

I appreciate the seal source. That is one headache down (sort of anyway). Not sure about what connection where, but next time I get a chance, I will give the element a once over.  I have had my Bradley about 18 months, and it gets about 30+ hrs per month use (Last 4 weekends for example, did a 8# pastrami I cured -12hrs; Very dry Jerky I cured-6 hrs; a 10# brisket-17hrs; & 10# home cured Canadian style bacon-8hrs), could the element be petering out seeing as the temp issue has  only been a problem  for the last two sessions? I did notice the plastic trim where the temp control slide is cracked and loose at each corner and in the center. Not sure how that happened or if is only a cosmetic issue. I am sure someone will know.
I hunt, therefore I eat.

Gizmo

Iah,
What are you using for the box temperature indicator?  You mentioned slide control so you will be using an Original Bradley with a thermometer in the door.  I would suggest if you were using the door temp gauge, you try to get a reading from another probe and locate the probe in a couple different locations next to the meat (high, mid, low). 

Check the vent slots on the V tray.  Open them up a bit as they have a tendency to pinch shut with cleaning.  Some have used a flat blade screw driver or other type tool.  I have a pot scraper that is tapered and works great for opening up the slot.  Try for 1/8 of an inch.  The opening should not allow drippings to go straight through to the bottom of the unit.  Having the slots open will help the heat, and smoke, to rise.  Closed slots will make the V tray act as more of a heat sheild.
Hope this helps.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Your seal may not need replacing at this time. If it still has it shape, flexible, and the magnets work, it sounds like either the screws loosen of came out. It might be a case of just tightening or replacing them.

Wind will prevent the cabinet from maintaining heat, so that could be the cause when you made the jerky. You are smoking light loads, so you should be able to get higher temperature then that. Although for what you are smoking, you don't want to get higher then 210°F, it sound like your recovery time is very slow. My BS would go to at least 230°F with that type of load if I would let it.

The crack above the temperature adjustment and circuit, is a common problem with the smoker. If moisture gets in there it can fry your temperature circuit board. I'm not sure if slight damage to the circuit would hamper it's performance. One of the electricians of engineer could probably answer that. I had to replace mine, but I'm not sure if I noticed any decline in performance prior to get going dead.

To help prevent moisture from running out the bottom of the door, I raise the front about 1/4". Thanks to another member who indicated that the crack could be caused by stress, when I raised the front I took the stress off the front feet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: iahkaferoaster on January 14, 2008, 05:07:13 PM
1) I have a door seal that is loose in a few places and comes off the back corner(hinge side) totally. How do I fix this?

2) I can never seem to get may Bradley past 210F with meat in it unless it is warm out. Tried to do jerky this weekend (ambient temp was 55F, was in the back of my garage as it was windy out if this help), and it never got past 185-190F. Granted this is a good temp more or less for jerky, but I would have liked to have done 200F on the nose. I have seen in other posts that a heating element may need cleaning, but I cannot seem to get my mind around the fact that a bit of crust could affect them box temp that much. My Maverick reads the same there about to the door temp, so I have at least some quality control for both gauges. Help here.

Get with either Bryan (Yard & pool) or Tim, dont have his site url tho.
Both sell Bradleys and parts and are TOP RATE GUYS

nepas

TedEbear

Quote from: kalyl on March 07, 2024, 07:20:35 PMIf you're still experiencing issues, contacting Bryan or Tim, who sell Bradleys and parts, could be helpful.

A post from over 16 years ago???  I highly doubt that person still even has that smoker.