Marinades Rubs Brines Cures and Glazes

Started by Gizmo, January 03, 2009, 11:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marinade

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 28, 2009, 10:59:26 AM
Thanks for the link on the grinder.  I'll have to talk the wife into it.Marc 

Hey Marc,
Know that expression it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.... I just googled the Girmi TR30 Chopper and these things are becoming insanely hard to find. Could be the dollar vs the lira, if you see one grab it. Tell your wife it was all my fault.

Jim (who will deny it all if confronted by Marc's wife). :-X

Smoking Duck

Quote from: marinade on January 28, 2009, 02:24:05 PM

Hey Marc,
Know that expression it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.... I just googled the Girmi TR30 Chopper and these things are becoming insanely hard to find. Could be the dollar vs the lira, if you see one grab it. Tell your wife it was all my fault.

Wow, you may be a newbie here, but you catch on quick  ;D  If confronted by my wife, it is best to curl up in a fetal position and feign dead  :D  Allright, I'm gonna google it and see what I come up with.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Ooohhh,  I like that book!  Used to use a smoked jalapeno powder (not chipotle) as a condiment.  I picked it up in San Antonio quite a few years back and have long since ran out of it and my parents say they can't find it any more.  As soon as I source some jalapeno powder, I am going to try to smoke some.  In the back of my mind for a few years is to smoke cheese powder and powdered lemon.  The cheese powder to be used on popcorn among other possibilities.  The powdered lemon probably in a lemon pepper mix to be used mainly on fowl and fish when you just can't smoke or grill.  Smoked figs and pears intrigue me!  Recently ran into some absolutely wonderful and very crispy dried okra.  Bought a bag, ate it up in a day or so - went back in and they were out and haven't been able to get any more.  Wonder what uses one could come up with by smoking the okra and grinding?  A smoky thickening agent.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: marinade on January 28, 2009, 02:24:05 PM

Hey Marc,

Jim

Welcome to the forum.

I really am enjoying your book. Giz was kind to give me a copy. I think we are almost neighbors huh. Your by Philly.

nepas

Gizmo

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the Bradley Forum.  Enjoyed your post on smoked condiments.  Will be giving that peppers smoke, dry and grind a go for sure. 
Have some Maple Burbon Brine chilling right now with a few pounds of turkey breast all sliced up.  Doing the Maple Turkey Jerky.
Look forward to many more of your posts and a lot of ed-u-me-cation.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Hey Jim,

Do you think the use of silicon dioxide would help reduce the "stickiness" of the apple in an apple rub?  Just curious if it might help as it's an anti-caking ingredient.

I'm having one heck of a time trying to find that chopper.  About the only place that I can seem to find that has it is ikitchen.com and from the reviews I've read about them, I'd be real leery sending them any money.  I wonder if there might be another chopper that would work?  Do you think a handheld blender would do the job adequately?

Thanks!

Marc

canadiansmoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 29, 2009, 09:10:23 AM
Hey Jim,

Do you think the use of silicon dioxide would help reduce the "stickiness" of the apple in an apple rub?  Just curious if it might help as it's an anti-caking ingredient.

I'm having one heck of a time trying to find that chopper.  About the only place that I can seem to find that has it is ikitchen.com and from the reviews I've read about them, I'd be real leery sending them any money.  I wonder if there might be another chopper that would work?  Do you think a handheld blender would do the job adequately?

Thanks!

Marc

Marc, have you tried this site out?

http://www.salad-recipe.net/girmitr30chopper-p-4491.html

I haven't used them before but it appears they might have your chopper.

Stephen

Smoking Duck

Thanks, Stephen.  I'll check them out.

Marc

marinade

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 29, 2009, 09:10:23 AM
Hey Jim,

Thanks!

Marc

Marc,

I've never used silicon dioxide so I can't speak with any authority about it or make something up that will sound convincing. Here's what I think is going on with apple slices. Since they have a high concentrate of fructose when dried, the heat/friction can make anything that's sweet - sticky. Maybe freezing first is the answer.

There are a lot of high end burr grinders on coffee/espresso web sites that would work. The trick is to check the wattage. The lower the watts, the higher the burn-out. Oster (and I'm sure other blender mfgs have them too) has small mini-jars that would work. They come in 1-cup sizes. The hand held that I had my eye on is the Bamix.http://www.everythingkitchens.com/bamix.html Notice the torque, you could mount it on the back of an outboard. Come to think of it, a small hp outboard motor would make a great immersion blender for large quantities. Another grinder that has been on the radar and is imported through Canada is the Sumeet http://www.hotdishes.com/sumeet.htm. I've seen them in Indian restaurants. Be prepared for loosing some counter-top real estate along with a low SAF (Spouse Approval Factor).

Jim

Smoking Duck

Hey Jim,

Your idea about freezing the dehydrated apple slices worked perfectly.  I set them in the freezer overnight and then pulled them out this morning.  Using my burr grinder:

I set the level at the coarsest setting.  This still produced pretty much a powder effect but perfect for what I would call a dusting agent.  After the grinding, the powder is still very sticky, so I placed the powder back into the freezer.  After a couple of hours, I'm going to add silicon dioxide (2% by weight of apple powder) to try and cut down on some of the stickiness, much like companies do with tricalcium phosphate in table salt, and promote some "free-flowing" in the powder.

I suspect that this may be one of those ingredients that will just work better if refrigerated over its shelf life rather than being kept in a pantry.  The flavor of the apple is still there in the powder and would work wonderfully on pork, poultry and fish.  However, I am far from a culinary expert so take my thoughts for what they're worth.

I'll post a pic of the powder when completed.

Smoking Duck

Here's what the powder looked like.  It has the same lumping characteristics as brown sugar, however, it is not as moist as brown sugar. The lumps break up rather easily with a little amount of pressure.  I haven't used the silicon dioxide yet as I'm waiting for some shaker jars to be delivered.  Will give that a try when they arrive.

Mr Walleye

SD

Where did you get the silicon dioxide from?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Hey Mike,

Here's where I got it.  I like dealing with this company.  They're about 90 minutes east of me and anything I order, I get next day.  If they won't ship to Canada, let me know and I'll order and send it to you myself.Take a look at all their spices.....they have a pretty good array of stuff.  Get my horseradish powder, wasabi powder and worcestershire powder there as well.

Marc

Silicon Dioxide

Mr Walleye

Thanks SD

I just checked their site and they indicate they don't ship to Canada. I will check my usual sources here to see if it's available. Thanks for the offer but let me check to see if I can get it here first and I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

No problem at all.......if you need me, don't hesitate to ask.  I love my Canucklehead friends  ;D