Marinades Rubs Brines Cures and Glazes

Started by Gizmo, January 03, 2009, 11:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

OMG,  I received this book today.  I have only had time to thumb through it but it has many stickies sticking out of it already.  I can't wait to try some of the recipes.

Gizmo

Awesome Deb,
If you want a good start, and I believe I remember reading in another thread you don't have a dehydrator but you do have a big easy, Use Jim's Turkey Jerky recipe only use the Big Easy in place of the dehydrator.  You will have a few more OMGs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Giz,

Thanks.

I don't have a dehydrator but my oven will go low enough so I'm good for jerky.  I just want to get the dehydrator to free up the oven space.   I'm kicking myself for not taking the time when we bought this house to put a double oven in.

The recipe that caught my eye second after the jerky was grilled beef tenderloins with ancho chile sauce.  The tenderloins are marinated in a orange-chipotle marinade. 

I have been to the liquor store & now have bourbon so I'm good to go on the jerky today.  Just have to figure out the timing.

Deb

marinade

Hey Gang, thanks again for the blushes. Back to Marc and the apple powder. Where I would use this is part of a cure for smoked salmon by replacing the sugar or sweet element. If you're using it as part of a rub, don't be surprised if it's lost in the shuffle. I play around with a Mape Bourbon Sugar (cooled caramel broken up in a spice mill) and the flavor is there when it doesn't have a lot of company (ingredients) around it. Don't over do it. It's a sugar and it will carmelize. I'd combine it with a Pate Spice Rub and nail some brined pork chops with it.

marinade

Quote from: deb415611 on January 31, 2009, 04:25:57 AM
Giz,

Thanks.

I don't have a dehydrator but my oven will go low enough so I'm good for jerky.  I just want to get the dehydrator to free up the oven space.   I'm kicking myself for not taking the time when we bought this house to put a double oven in.

The recipe that caught my eye second after the jerky was grilled beef tenderloins with ancho chile sauce.  The tenderloins are marinated in a orange-chipotle marinade. 

I have been to the liquor store & now have bourbon so I'm good to go on the jerky today.  Just have to figure out the timing.

Deb
Jim

Deb, here's a trick for the turkey. I freeze it for an hour or two and turn it out on a slicer. There's an Amish butcher at Reading Terminal Farmer's Market that does these flat brisket cuts with turkey breasts. I stole a couple ideas from him. Take the two breast halves and slice them laterally. You want them as thick as slab bacon. The Amish butcher is a good friend of mind. Once when I bought about 20 pounds of wings on a busy Saturday for a testing binge.  He asked me if I need anything else, I said "Yeah Les, could you bone them?"  The look he gave me could chill a beer cooler. I told him I was just kidding, he answered, "Don't laugh, some days it gets like that."

Smoking Duck

Sounds good Jim.  I'm contemplating something with apple, ginger, maybe a light mustard and some pepper.  You're right about it getting lost......maybe adding some other citurs zest (maybe lemon) would help along the way.Maybe even some tarragon.  It would definitely be a rub on the sweeter side that could be complemented with a glaze.  Just not sure where to go with it yet........but I'll work on it.  I know that apple and horseradish work pretty well together as well.  Maybe some apple as the primary spice, some kosher salt, a little black pepper, dry mustard, ginger.  That's all of the fun in working with spices, IMO........the experimentation.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Quote from: marinade on January 31, 2009, 10:02:04 AM

Deb, here's a trick for the turkey. I freeze it for an hour or two and turn it out on a slicer. There's an Amish butcher at Reading Terminal Farmer's Market that does these flat brisket cuts with turkey breasts. I stole a couple ideas from him. Take the two breast halves and slice them laterally. You want them as thick as slab bacon. The Amish butcher is a good friend of mind. Once when I bought about 20 pounds of wings on a busy Saturday for a testing binge.  He asked me if I need anything else, I said "Yeah Les, could you bone them?"  The look he gave me could chill a beer cooler. I told him I was just kidding, he answered, "Don't laugh, some days it gets like that."

Thanks Jim.   I actually can purchase thin sliced turkey breast in the grocery store that I shop at.  I had some in the freezer and I'm just waiting for it to unthaw enough to slice it in half.  It's just a little thicker than I want it to be so slicing in 1/2 will be perfect. 

If any of the jerky makes it past the weekend I"m going to try the yellow split pea soup.