A batch of venison snack sticks

Started by pmmpete, March 05, 2015, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmmpete

I whomped up a batch of snack sticks with the "Greg's Spicy Beef Sticks" recipe, using 50% venison and 50% pork shoulder.

Running the meat through the grinder.

Ready to begin stuffing the 21mm collagen casings.

The stuffed sticks.

Part of the batch after I took it out of the smoker.

Packaged and ready for the freezer.

I asked for recommendations for a good mild-flavored snack stick recipe, and got several recommendations for Greg's Spicy Beef Sticks.  They turned out to be as advertised – very tasty, with a little spiciness, but not too spicy.

ralphy670

Very nice.  How long did they take in the smoker?

pmmpete

Two hours at 165 degrees gave me all the smoke I wanted for flavor, and also got the internal temperature up above 155 degrees. One of the advantages of snack sticks is that they don't take very long to get up to temperature in a smoker, so I don't need to use a hot water bath to get them up to temperature.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

pensrock

pmmpete

I left the batch in the picture fairly smooth on the outside, and smoked the other batch until it was more wrinkled.

pensrock

When I make them I normally leave them in till quite wrinkled myself. I like them more like a Slim Jim vs a fresh meat stick. I normally finish them off in my dehydrator after they were smoked.

cobra6223

nice job and yeah it's hard to beat that recipe.

pikeman_95

They look real good Pete. I would give you a good report on the taste but I didn't get a bite of one.  ;) ;)
I will talk to you later this week.
KC