Doggie Pix

Started by seemore, January 08, 2009, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Things seem to have stalled at 5......she may be done or maybe she's just taking a break.  Not sure either way but I need a drink and I need one quickly!  Gonna have to break out one of the beers that I have resrved for cooking!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smoking Duck

Well, we're now at 6.  3 Black and 3 Yellow.  I think there may be one or two more but not sure.  I think a chocolate female would finish things off nicely.

Smoking Duck

Well, we're now up to 9 total.  5 black and 4 yellow.  Not sure if it's over yet or not but Steeler has more of a relaxed look on her face, so maybe she's done.  9 would be plenty!  Pics to follow once I'm done with my nap.  ;D

Caribou

Wow 9!  That's a good-sized litter!
Good job Steeler...and Grandpa Duck!
You made a great midwife! ;)
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

Thanks Carolyn.......I'm very tired.  It's been a long and fun day........I can only imagine how Steeler feels.  The fun thing was that the kids got home about 4:45 pm.  I met them outside and told them that I needed some help in the garage before they went into the house and surprised them with the pups!  Well, then Steeler surprised me with two more (this was when I thought we had 6) and just as the kids were looking at the two that had just been born before we got there, out plops number 9!  My son looks up at me and says, 'I did not need to see that!"  So, I giggled like a schoolgirl.  I was thinking we'd have 7 but 9 has exceeded my expectations......who knows when I go back in 30 minutes, I might have 10 or 11.  I always knew Steeler was an overachiever  ;D

I'm at a loss for names though.......I was gonna name them after the 6 Steeler Super Bowl victories when I thought there might only be 6.  The Steelers better start winning some more  ;D

La Quinta

This is totally kool!!!!  :)

westexasmoker

Congrats SD!

Can't wait to see some pics!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

nickld

I think Steeler ought to be up for another ribbon!   ;)

Smoking Duck

I agree nickld.  She handled it much better than I did.  Ought to be interesting feeding 9 mouths with 8 teets, but I'm sure she'll take care of business.

I've got photos posted on my blog, but here are some as well.

This was the first one on the scene.  I've nicknamed this one Hickory

Steeler had neatly placed the pups already born under the heat lamp while she went to business giving birth to the others.  There's Hickory, Mesquite, Oak and Apple in this pic

And here's one of the whole gang: Steeler, Hickory, Mesquite, Oak, Apple, Maple, Cherry, Pecan, Alder and Special Blend

And here's my cats who couldn't figure what all the hoopla was about.  Ashley and then Tiger.

westexasmoker

Looks great SD!

Steeler looks likes shes gonna be a good mama!  Congrats!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caribou

How cute, puppy pucks!
I know it might sound silly, but doesn't having puppies stir up the same feelings you had as a kid on Christmas morning?
It's like you know they're coming but it's not real until they arrive.
I'm so excited for your family, what a great experience for the kids....and the cats :D
Carolyn

seemore

The puppies are precious, Gramps!!!
Poor Steeler - she deserves a blue ribbon for giving birth to 9 of them!

Smoking Duck

It is like Christmas Morning, Deb.  It's obviously not the same as when my kids will have kids but it's as close as it gets.  You know, Steeler has been right by my side these last 4 years.  She and I have put in some long hard hours training and hunting and she never ever has come to the center of the boxing ring (so to speak) when the bell has been rung.  I guess it's kind of hard to explain to those who haven't gone through it or had pets, but it was really cool to be a part of it.

The most amazing thing to me was in watching Mother Nature take over.  I got to thinking about how the pup would come out and instinctively, Steeler would know to get that membrane of of the pup.  I just wondered how she knew.  It wasn't like I'd spent the last 4 years training her how to do that and we never sat down and watched a DVD........she just knew how to do it and that it needed to be done.  Sometimes we, as humans, have to put together a consortium of geniuses together to figure out how to screw in a light bulb.  I guess it just gives you a greater appreciation of nature and the animal kingdom.

KyNola

Sweet sweet sweet!  Congratulations Steeler and Marc.

Larry, Jan, Sebastian and Sasha.

La Quinta

Giggles....first of all...congrats on the amazing thing you have witnessed....Second...I had an opportunity when I was like 8 to see the same thing...instinct....and being scared if it were the right thing...my parents wanted to help somehow....but....ya can't...She knows what she's doing...it's scary and exciting for those who have had the opportunity to watch...

Puppies are an amazing blessing...