Maple Turkey Jerky

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 08, 2009, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodak

Dehydrating now.  Smelling wonderful.  Tongue drooling. 

Gizmo

I know you all need another recipe but this post isn't going to be one, just another use for the Maple Bourbon Turkey Jerky liquid you will have left over.
Jim's recipe for the brine calls for 6 quarts of water but the brine needed for 2 lbs of turkey breasts is 6 cups.  This means you will have a lot left over.  This is a good thing.   ;D

I used some of the un-used brine for some chicken thighs and legs.  Put them in the brine this morning before heading to work.  When I got home, took the chicken out of the brine, rinsed them off and patted them dry.  I also had some of the glaze left over as well, also a good thing.   ;D  ;D 
Put the chicken in the Big Easy and when they were about 15 minutes from being done, I pulled the basket and brushed the glaze on.  Back into the Big Easy to finish and set the glaze. 
Awesome tasting, and dripping wet inside.

Jim, you were hiding this out of your book or I just haven't found it yet.  :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Gizmo on January 30, 2009, 07:44:59 PM
I know you all need another recipe but this post isn't going to be one, just another use for the Maple Bourbon Turkey Jerky liquid you will have left over.
Jim's recipe for the brine calls for 6 quarts of water but the brine needed for 2 lbs of turkey breasts is 6 cups.  This means you will have a lot left over.  This is a good thing.   ;D

I used some of the un-used brine for some chicken thighs and legs.  Put them in the brine this morning before heading to work.  When I got home, took the chicken out of the brine, rinsed them off and patted them dry.  I also had some of the glaze left over as well, also a good thing.   ;D  ;D 
Put the chicken in the Big Easy and when they were about 15 minutes from being done, I pulled the basket and brushed the glaze on.  Back into the Big Easy to finish and set the glaze. 
Awesome tasting, and dripping wet inside.

Jim, you were hiding this out of your book or I just haven't found it yet.  :D

Giz,

I thought the same thing!  I also thought that the glaze would be great for a pork tenderloin.  I only wish I had saved mine  ???  Sometimes, I don't think straight where food and alcohol are concerned  :D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Whoa!!!!!    Just made the glaze & marinade.  The glaze is awesome!   

I had this thought as the glaze was finishing up...  It looked like the glaze for caramel popcorn.  I bet it would be awesome changing up just a bit to pour over popcorn for a maple bourbon orange popcorn. 

Smoking Duck

I think the glaze could be used on a myriad of items limited only by our imagination........it's that good, IMO.  I'm also going to try a version with jamaican rum instead of the bourbon to see how that alters the taste.

DrtiBird

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 08, 2009, 07:22:50 PM

2 lbs of fresh turkey breast cut 4 to 5" long and 1/4" thick

Have smoker at a temp of 140 to 150* The TJ will soke for 2 hours. NOTE: Add the glaze at the last 1/2 hour of the smoke.

Place TJ strips in a dehydrator at a temp of 140 to 150*  and dehydrate for 6/8 hours until TJ is stiff but pliable.

nepas,

I haven't made jerky before so I have a couple of questions and I don't have a dehydrator.

1) How is the best way to slice the meat to get the uniform strips?

2) Is a dehydrator an absolute necessity or can the jerky be finished in the smoker?
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

westexasmoker

Hey Drt!

The easiest way for cutting your meat is to throw it into the freezer for a bit, makes slicing much easier!  I too don't have a dehydrater, just bring the temp down in your BS nice and low.  You might just have to run the SG and leave the tower off!  I've only done jerky a couple of times, and its turned out great!  Someone with more knowledge than I will be along!  Good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

There are a couple of schools of thought on slicing the jerky.  SOme say to slice with the grain and some say to slice against the grain.  Me, I don't think it really makes a difference as jerky is going to be tough anyways.

WTS is correct on the freezer.  I throw mine into the freezer for about an hour prior to slicing.  If it's already frozen, I thaw in the refer and just feel the meat prior to slicing until it's where I think it should be.  If you have a meat slicer, that will work but I've only tried that with beef.  Otherwise, I try to slice about the size I would for scallopini.  I try to get it 1/8" to 1/4" thick but try closer to 1/8".

The jerky can be finished in the smoker or in the oven.  If you can get your oven down to 150F, that's great.  Mine will only get to 170F but I prop the door open just a bit and it works great.

SD

pensrock

QuoteIf you can get your oven down to 150F, that's great.  Mine will only get to 170F but I prop the door open just a bit and it works great.

Works even better when drying habs and penos.  ::) ;D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: pensrock on January 31, 2009, 10:34:09 AM
QuoteIf you can get your oven down to 150F, that's great.  Mine will only get to 170F but I prop the door open just a bit and it works great.

Works even better when drying habs and penos.  ::) ;D

Especially when you've got a good friend helping you every step of the way  ;D ;D

mezwicker

Waaayy too much salt. Are you kidding me?!? I spent two days smoking and drying this recipe and I all I got was a wasted wild turkey breast. It may be good with less salt but a cup is too much. Disappointed.

KyNola

Well, that's a nice first introduction to the forum.  Drag up a 3 year old thread and immediately criticize it.  Perhaps you didn't bother to note there was an alternative to using the brine with the cup of salt in it.

BTW, NepaSmoker is probably THE jerky expert on the forum.  I'll take his word every single time.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mezwicker on June 03, 2012, 03:17:24 PM
Waaayy too much salt. Are you kidding me?!? I spent two days smoking and drying this recipe and I all I got was a wasted wild turkey breast. It may be good with less salt but a cup is too much. Disappointed.

Did you use the right type of salt? If you used pickling/canning salt (table salt), and not kosher that will increase the amount of salt in the recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

I guess you didnt follow the directions then as mine turned out great. Guess i need to make more from this 3 year old post.

Yeah Larry another one.

iceman

Been awhile since I've seen one of them around here Rick.  ;)