Are you kidding me - That was easy!

Started by mheath, January 12, 2009, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mheath

I just got a Bradley for Christmas and I have a bunch of venison in the freezer and I decided to try curing some of it. 

I used 2 backstraps cut in half each half weighing about 1 lb.

I made a simple dry cure of tenderquick and plain white sugar, rubbed it on, and put it in the fridge for a few days.

I smoked it with maple until they hit 141 deg.

WoW!  It tastes great and was so easy!!  I wish I should have gotten a smoker years ago!!

Tenpoint5

Yeah it's That Easy!!!!!

Welcome aboard there Mheath. Make sure you look around the site and hit the recipe site. There is a wealth of information here and a WHOLE bunch of people that will be more than willing to help you with any questions you have.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

mheath, we kind of keep it to ourselves about how easy it is. We enjoy family and friends thinking we have some special skills!!!  ::)

KyNola

Mheath,
My friend Smokin Soon beat me to it.  Don't be broadcasting how easy this smoking/curing thing is.  We like our family and friends to think this whole deal is very difficult and must spend HOURS tending to the smoker with drink in hand. ;)  :D

Congrats on your venison backstrap.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 12, 2009, 06:02:53 PM
Yeah it's That Easy!!!!!But don't tell anyone!!! It's kinda like the Sweat shirt my kids got me for Xmas. "What Happens in the Garage, Stays in the Garage"

OK OK  SS and KyNola I forgot that last part.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Remember, drinking makes you lean. :D

KyNola

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum mheath!

I see you found the smoking "easy button"

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 12, 2009, 06:21:09 PM
mheath, we kind of keep it to ourselves about how easy it is. We enjoy family and friends thinking we have some special skills!!!  ::)

Shhhh, don't tell anyone. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Caneyscud

You forgot to read the Bradley Smokers Pledge

"We pledge, under the penalty of having our Bradley melt into nothingness, never to tell our OR especially anyone else's adoring and admiring family and friends, the SECRET (the ease) of Bradley Smoking.  We further Pledge to use our Bradleys as often as possible so as to never let our family and friends be without smoked delicacies.  There are just some things that should not be smoked and until we find out what they are, we Pledge to smoke everything we can catch, wrap in bacon, and fit into our Bradleys."
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"