How long y'all been smokin?

Started by Doctor Woody, January 12, 2009, 06:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Woody

I couldn't find a poll like this, so if there is one already, please take this one down.

NePaSmoKer

Smoking Duck

The only thing I've been doing since 1977 is making stupid arse comments that always get my butt into trouble.......kinda like this  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 12, 2009, 08:06:06 PM
The only thing I've been doing since 1977 is making stupid arse comments that always get my butt into trouble.......kinda like this  ;D

:D  :D  :D

westexasmoker

As long as I can remember...Mom put me in charge of grilling/smoking (Did'nt have a dad around)...and it went from there.  I do recall I was very good at burning stuff at first!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: westexasmoker on January 12, 2009, 08:22:37 PM
As long as I can remember...Mom put me in charge of grilling/smoking (Did'nt have a dad around)...and it went from there.  I do recall I was very good at burning stuff at first!   ;D

C

So, it was your Mom who started the love affair with mesquite?  If so, I'm gonna lay off all the bad stuff I say about mesquite........a fella's gotta do what Mom tells him to do!  ;) :D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Doctor Woody

How cool that there are lots of "time tested" smokie dogs on this forum.   ;D

tsquared

I started with salmon in my dad's Little Chief around 1981. I was commercial fishing at the time so supply was not a problem. I moved up to the Cariboo country (cowboy country)here in BC in the mid '80's with a career change and it was moose and pork and rainbow trout in a smoker that was built on the property of the  house i was renting.After I moved back to Vancouver Island I did 10 years of salmon smoking in a fridge smoker I fashioned in the greenhouse. (Vegies? what are those?) After I got tired of babysitting my homemade smoker all night I got smart and bought a Bradley.Which led to hanging with you riffraff and its all been up in smoke since then! :D
Cheers!
T2

La Quinta

Been smoking since my Mom taught me how...about 15 years (give or take)  :)

Habanero Smoker

It was around 1979 for me. I started with an old Mecco water smoker, and had gone through about 3 more water smokers before purchasing the Bradley. I believe it was another Mecco, a brand I can't recall right now, and the last was a Brinkman Gourmet smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I would guess ten to fifteen years now.
pens

FLBentRider

I used to have a brinkmann, Got my bradley 1.5 years ago.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

easyridinole

Gosh, I take my hat off to you guy's! You're the TRUE pro's!!  ;) I have only been at this a year or so.
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

Caneyscud

Been stickburning since early 60's.  1960's not 1860's I'll have ya know!  ;D  Would watch the ranchers do big stuff and help dad and granddad with grilling/smoking in early 60's.  Would use what is now called a Texas Hibachi - a horizontal 55 gal drum made into a grill/smoker.  They would let me flip some burgers and dogs, by late 60's.  Mid 70's bought a hibachi to use at college outside my dorm room - but would love to get up early drive to the lake to fish and catch my breakfast which was cooked/smoked over wood.  Grilled bass is still a good thing.  By 79 noticed gas was becoming the thing to grill over, but couldn't afford one so made one out of a hot water heater tank and scrounged parts - worked well for many years.  Move to our first house and got back to the old ways of a fire pit sort of.  Made a grill out of concrete blocks and grading cloth.  Too weather dependent - family and in-laws on more than one occassion wanted barbecue during inclement weather - it was a struggle but would pull it off - I think they did it just to laugh at the struggles.  So had to go with something less dependent on the weather so have had a series of bullets and el cheapo grills for years until started getting more serious and helped a buddy design and build a couple of trailer mounted smoker/grills.  Bought a Bandera for the house and a month ago embarked on the bright new Bradley joy ride.  So griller/smoker/cooker - longer time than I want to think about, but Bradley Smoker - just a tender rosy-cheeked newbie!

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

Doc,

BTW, that skillet looks delicious

Shakespeare
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"