Eagle picture

Started by okeejohn, January 15, 2009, 12:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

OK, Carolyn, here are the pics.  It's not a world-class but definitely a trophy in my eyes.  He scored around 158 and the pics don't do his mass any justice.  It was a great hunt none the less and one I'll always remember.  I had spotted him in my tree stand in a bean field and he was messing with about 10 does.  I had to stalk him as I figured he wouldn't leave the does but that was the easy part.  The hard part was moving without all those eyes and ears and noses detecting me!

I never did enter him into P&Y as I want my first one entered to be a REALLY big one.  The funny thing was that I almost had a shot at two bucks who made this one look small but they never did give me a good shot.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caribou

He's fantastic!  My hubbie and I dream of even getting to see a buck like that!
We saw a nice buck this fall the evening after I filled my tag, but he wasn't near as nice as yours.
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

Thanks Carolyn!  They kill deer alot bigger than mine out here all the time. The pictures don't do a good job of showing the mass that he has.  I cannot get my hand completely around the main beam (G1) and what I really like is that mass goes all the way through to the G3 and G4 tines.  Even the G2's (which I refer to as dog killers) are over 8" in length.  I call them dog killers not because I like to see them killed but once watched a deer and stray dog go at it one time and the deer gored the dogs with them.  Ever since, just called them dog killers.  I gotta say that as much as I love dogs, I hate to see them chase deer and at that point, I root for the deer.  That being said....I blame the dog owners (and I use that term loosely) for allowing the dogs to run amuck with no regards for wildlife, not the dogs.

SD

By the way, got my eye on one I saw this year (assuming he makes it to next year).  He was an 8 point that was huge but had about a 10" drop tine on the right side.  He was an absolute beauty and I sure hope he makes it to next year!  Never did get a picture of him......my buddy got one of those pairs of binocs that come with a digital camera for Christmas.......hope to get some pics of him next year before he gets into arrow range but if he doesn't, I'll hopefully take pics afterwards  ;D

Kummok

Heck with all the moose.....as you can imagine, I see moose almost daily around here....had "mooseloaf" yesterday. Moose is as routine around here as eagles....nearly a zillion flying in front of my windows daily (well, maybe only a hundred or so, to be honest) What I'd like to see is more pics of that gorgeous interior construction that the moose is hanging on, Caribou!!

Here's a pic of another visitor at our place...... kinda fuzzy photo of this furry visitor. He was small yearling but don't let size fool you....the ground shook when he pounded it with his paws, warning our Newfy to keep his distance!

HCT

Nice rack, couldn't resist. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Caribou

Hey SD, there's nothing like having something to look forward to, esp. a big buck!
I want to see the same buck we saw after I got my little buck.  We did see him after all of the seasons were over, so we are hopeful.
Thanks Kummok for the kind comments on our old house!  It's just an old 70's rancher with a walk out basement, but my hubbie has worked very hard to give it character with his stone work and tile. Here is a kind of panorama of our living room....it's the best wall in the house! :D
ps thanks for the great bear pic and save some mooseloaf for us!

Smoking Duck

Now THAT is an awesome looking room, Carolyn.  My compliments to the hubby!  That's exactly what I'd like to do in my house but the wife still insists that all stuffed animals stay in my office.  Slowly but surely, I will wear her down.......after all, she did eventually marry me  ;D

Kummok..........how lucky you are to have eagle sightings and moose sightings as a very common occurance.  That is certainly God's country.......great pic of the bear!

By the way, no luck yet on the Ligonberry but I have a couple of different networks looking for it yet.  Hopefully, will find it soon!

Kummok

Now THAT'S the kind of wall I could get "fenced in" with!! Some great mounts there! ThanX for sharing....gives me some ideas for our currently textured n' fauxed "mount wall"!

Caribou

Thanks!
Think about Cultured Stone, it can go over regular walls because it isn't too heavy. 
That's what my hubbie used, he even covered our brick fireplaces with it.
So it is faux in its own way, too.  But it's applied with a specific type of mortor like bricks are.
Carolyn

pensrock

Carolyn,
  I would never leave that room! Well except for smoking and hunting and fishing.  ;D
pens

Caribou

Thanks Pens!
It is a fun room for kids to have sleep overs in, too.
My 6 year old daughter had one last night and they have a lantern, sleeping bags and pretend they are camping with the animals! :D
Carolyn

HCT

Carolyn, Your hubby did an outstanding job on that room. The upper level is magnificent. :)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

I love the antlers of the caribou on the right, very distinctive with cool palmation.........they look great.  Awesome bear as well.  So caught up in the room that I missed the animals!

SD

Caribou

Thanks everyone for the compliments!
Got a funny story about the bear.
A while back when my hubbie actually had a little extra cash that he wanted to keep to himself, he would roll up the bills and hide it (from me of course) deep in the bear's mouth.  One day while he was at work, I was vacuuming and dusting and was just at the right eye level to notice the wad of cash stuffed in the bear's mouth.  I laughed so hard I cried...then of course....I took the money and waited to see how long it took him to notice.  It was really fun!
Later he moved his cache of cash into the frame of his weight set....I found that too.
Remember husbands, wifes have the Sixth Sense, they don't see dead people, they see $$$$$$!!!
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 19, 2009, 02:48:10 PM
Now THAT is an awesome looking room, Carolyn.  My compliments to the hubby!  That's exactly what I'd like to do in my house but the wife still insists that all stuffed animals stay in my office.  Slowly but surely, I will wear her down.......after all, she did eventually marry me  ;D

I feel your pain Marc, my mounts all got moved to the basement when I built the new office down there. Not quite finished ran out of money. Number 5 is over to the right a bit more. Tenpoint 5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!