homemade cheese?

Started by Up In Smoke, January 17, 2009, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

been considering making my own cheese,
does anybody here make there own?
looking at leeners cheese making kit.....but before i make a move
i figured i would ask here to avoid costly mistake.
                                                      thanks
                                                              jerry
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Smoking Duck

The degree to which you try is the degree to which you're happy  ;D

Haven't done it yet.......been contemplating making my own mozzarella for a while now......just haven't found the time.  I will soon though.  If you do it, I'd like to know what you think.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

HCT

SD, Been thinking about mozzarella too. They have starter kits for about $25, I guess they look decent for beginners.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

You don't need a kit, HCT.  You can do it pretty easily without a kit.  The most exotic ingredient needed is rennet tablets which can be found in most grocery stores in the pudding section.  Other than that, most homes already have whatever else is needed.  If you're interested, I'll shoot you the link I was looking at to getting me started.

SD

westexasmoker

Quote from: smokinrookie on January 17, 2009, 03:50:27 PM
sd,
you mind shooting that link this way?

I agreee I'm up for trying to make some cheese!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Allright guys, I'll be on later tonight and see if I can wrassle that up.  Gotta go for now.....my experimental spinach-artichoke dip is almost done.

sd

stillsmoking

Smokingrookie, let us all know how you do if you decide to go ahead with it.  I am very interested in making my own cheese, bought some books even and read up on it a bit.  That has been a few years back though and I still haven't got off the start point.  I think for me the toughest part would be regulating temperatures.  I was going to use an old spare fridge that we have downstairs in the "meat prep" kitchen but it kinda went south on me, at least that's the excuse I am using today.

Smoking Duck

La Quinta

Thanks Giggles...I have wanted to try it as well...

Smoking Duck

You're welcome Q-tip  ;D  I gotta come up with a nickname for you like you did for me.....I'm not sure Q-tip is it......maybe Pauly Walnuts would be better  ;) ;D

Caribou

Check out Mother Earth News
http://www.motherearthnews.com/search.aspx?search=cheese%20making
they have had some good articles on home cheese making in some of their past issues.
Been wanting to try it myself.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Q-Tip ?

That's what we call them from the retirement homes around here. It's what you see sticking about the headrest when behind them in the car...

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

SD,  Definitely not Q-tip.   I have faith that you can come up with something better.

Smokingrookie -- Not sure whether I should thank you for this topic ;D.  It's something I have wanted to do but quite sure I don't have time to do something new ;D. 

I did make some ricotta a few months ago.  I used skim milk and it was WAY better than non-fat ricotta from the store.  I bet homemade ricotta with good quality whole milk would be fantastic.   Here's the recipe that I used  http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000282.html

The one thing that I have read and it makes sense is that the better quality the milk, the better the cheese. 

I may have to do some mozzarella if I can find the rennet tablets in the store. 

Deb

Caribou

Deb,
At our local store, they have rennet tablets where the canning stuff is located.  I haven't made cheese but I have noticed the rennet when I pick up my pectin.
ps. did you get your KitchenAid tray extended for your grinder? 
I canned my own V8 yesterday and ran 22 lbs of cooked tomatoes through mine and wished I had the tray extender!
Carolyn

HCT

Thanks for the links Duck. ;)

Deb, there are a few dairy farmers up here selling raw milk and it goes fast. A bit pricey but worth it for making cheese.

Hey, I like this spell check. :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"