Shold I go Guru?

Started by BigRed, January 08, 2005, 06:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Yes, you are on the right track.  My slide switch has never moved from the full on position since I bought a Guru controller.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

RhinoDoc

Don't get me wrong. I have had the BS for about 5 weeks now and have smoked ham, chicken, brisket, butt, chicken breasts, and 2 full chickens again. I continue to gain experience and understanding of its nuances (not to imply it is difficult). I have NEVER had a bad smoke yet - everything has turned out great, and with minimal effort (I also appreciate the easy cleanup). However, I have some expendable income, and the Raptor sounded good to me. I am not filthy rich, but a few hundred dollars to solve some of my problems (addressed earlier in this thread) is not a major consideration. I think the question is whether the Raptor (if it is in your price range) might be worth it. For me, without even having it yet, the answer is yes. I had an old Brinkman smoker about 15 years ago and struggled with it. I had to keep adding coals, adding water, adding wood. My brother got the electric coils and we thought it was genius, but you still had to get up several times a night to change the water and add wood. Several years ago we both quit smoking because of the hassle. I even threw out my Brinkman. We both discovered the BS at the same time, independently, and have enthusiastically started smoking again. It is great, but if I can make it even easier, I will.

MallardWacker

I am a fraid that if I go down this road I would probably be band.  Olds said it best.  The Bradley is a great Smoker.

Oh, let me see.  Sam's sells a great Smoked, Sliced Brisket that tastes great.  WOW, just heat it up in the oven and you are done.

<b><font color="blue">Again, "Rack'em Jay Stew; I'm out."</font id="blue"> </b>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

Mallard.

What does this post mean?  Is this some kind of slam?  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
<br />FELLOW SMOKERS!

Wow I really didn't mean to start a philisophical war  so to speak. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Red,

No war, just emotional conversation amongst, like Bill said, a bunch of guys & gals that have the common passion of the Bradley unit.

I'm betting most regular contributors on this board would jump into a barfight, no questions asked, if another member needed it.[8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

I know I'd go to war with any of the guys and gals in this Forum--we might not win, but the food would be great!

More seriously, I can really see where everyone is coming from on this discussion.  Olds is worried that some might misinterpret enthusiasm for the Raptor/Guru as a knock on the Bradley and not want to buy it.  He's also worried that people won't really learn how to use their Bradley if they immediately load it up with the Raptor/Guru.  Duck-man is wondering why one would bother using an "automated" smoker when you can buy the same food commercially.  Bill, Habanero and others think the Guru/Raptor is an important addition to their cooking arsenal.  

In reality, there is probably violent agreement on many more things than we disagree on.  I think everyone agrees that the Bradley is a phenomenal product that makes smoking food much simpler than any other smoker--electric or otherwise--on the market.

I look at this discussion as a matter of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts".  In other words, the overall pleasure one derives from smoking one's own food is greater than the sum of the individual components that go into doing it:  procuring the food, preparing the food, trying out different recipes, smoking the food, mastering the use of the smoker, and of course enjoying the food with friends and family.  For some, a key part may be growing, catching or killing the food they smoke, while for others that's not important or even possible.  A few of us may get more kicks out of creating new recipes, while others will prefer a "tried and true" approach.  Most of us will prefer to share our creations with family and friends, but some of us will just as readily cook for ourselves.  Some will want to master the skill and art of the smoker, while others will want to make that component as simple as possible.  And so it goes . . .

The main point to be made here is that for whatever reasons, we all take great pleasure in making smoked food for a variety and combination of reasons.  I personally agree with Olds and Kirk that I don't need a Raptor/Guru, but I could imagine getting one in the future if it would give me more pleasure from my BS.  That's the key--what will allow each individual BS owner to get the most pleasure from his or her smoker. For now, I enjoy learning how to use my BS because it's really easy and a huge step forward from my old bullet smoker.  

BigRed, don't worry about getting philosophical.  Whenever I get philosophical I do the same thing I do when I feel like going out for a run--I lie down on the couch until that feeling goes away.

Think I'll go enjoy a cold one on the couch now . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Mallard.

What does this post mean?  Is this some kind of slam?  

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No Bill,

Just a little passionate.  The BS is such a great smoker that the thought of having to add something to it to make it work. It kind of befuzzles me.

If you are not a fan of or know of <u>Jim Rome and the Jungle</u>, the last statement won't make any sense.  

Like Kirk said, Know body better get on the BS crowd I'd be like a hair on a bad dinner roll.  Ask the <b><s><font color="red">[}:)]cookshack[}:)]</font id="red"> </s> </b> folks.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

nsxbill

Mallard and all

I am glad that your comment wasn't a slam.  I hope you weren't doing a "Rome."  My perception of Jim Rome is that he stirs the pot for some type of personal gratification and financial gain.  He highlights controversial subjects and gets people worked up and then stands back and watches people react one way or another - sometimes they go to blows and say hurtful things.  He actually gets paid to piss people off.  He is entertaining...not the entertainment I enjoy, but still entertainment.

Classic smoking isn't a Bradley Smoker.  Historically it is a pit of one type or another using wet wood that permeates meat with smoke. The meat is placed in a remote chamber or in a box and heated one way or another indirectly while the smoke enhances the flavor and in some cases preserves food.  Sometimes no heat is used.

"Purists" probably poo poo the Bradley as a toy - a convenience, and not a real smoker.  This group enjoys this "toy" and extols its virtues daily here with their email posts.  There are many approaches to the art of smoking, and I enjoy the contributions of so many different people from around the US, Canada and around the world.

Being critical of further enhancement of one's enjoyment of the art of smoking seems misplaced.  It is just another path to perfect smoking and the end product... tasty food.  I respect your desire to constantly monitor the Bradley while it smokes your food.

There are many roads between here in California, Alaska, Arkansas, or New York.  Some roads are easily traveled-some are more involved, more difficult - less or more traveled-maybe more scenic.  If you get to that destination by whatever road, the outcome is the same.  I like being rested and able to drink lots of beer at the end of the road, not tired because I have been up all night manipulating an electrical slider switch.

The Guru makes my quest for excellent food easier.  It makes me enjoy smoking more.  I like the Bradley Smoker despite its shortcomings.  I have addressed one of its shortcomings by the use of the Guru.

It isn't for everyone, but it works for me, and that personal relationship with this cooking tool is what we all relate to.

I apologize for the rant.  

Happy Smoking!

Bill

bsolomon

Very eloquent all!  Frankly, I don't think this much thought or discussion was put into the last presidential election...[:D][:D][:D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />Very eloquent all!  Frankly, I don't think this much thought or discussion was put into the last presidential election...[:D][:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D][:D][:D]

Peace in smokin'[8D],

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Nicely put John,

At the end of day may we all have fun and make more freinds.  It will come down to the relationships we have that will count.

I may listen to the Jungle, but I am not apart of it.  You are exactly correct about Rome, he is the most arogant man alive,  if he can only say things once I might listen to him more often.  But if you do listen: you know what "racke'm" means, it is usually in referance to some one that is worth saving his comment on.  Bill you have always added good things to this forum, and if everyone was the same it would be not half as big as it now.  I sometimes loose perspective, I forget what it may look like on the other side of the screen.

Peace, Smoke and Rock & Roll..............

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Peace, Smoke and Rock & Roll..............<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Why do I have the strange feeling that on any other board on the internet, that statement has a totally different meaning?[:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

nsxbill

The Bradley works fine...just don't like to keep adjusting it.  Many have got it down pat, and know where to set it.  I just set in on high and the controller does it for me.  Matter of preference and pocketbook depth.  I will be purchasing a charcoal pit from them too, and the Procom4 works on any pit.  

With or without it, it does a fine job.

Bill

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smokinrookie</i>
<br />OK.....NOW THAT MY HEAD IS TRULY SPINNING.

I HAVE A CHARCOAL SMOKER AT WHICH I AM STILL VERY MUCH A ROOKIE.

IVE DONE RIBS,BUTTS,TURKEYS AND CHICKEN.. THE REASON I AM LOOKING AT THE BRADLEY IS I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN TO COLD SMOKE FISH AND LEARN TO DO SOME SAUSAGES.
IT ALSO APPEARS TO BE A LOT EASIER TO KEEP A CONSTANT TEMP..

THIS ROUSING DISCUSSION HAS ME CONCERNED ABOUT THE ABILITY TO KEEP A CONSTANT TEMP.
IS THE SLIDE TEMP CONTROL AN ISSUE?

remember.......all you can do is all you can do... then you are done!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bill is right in his eminently pithy way . . . with or without the Guru the BS does a fine job! [:D]

I've had my BS for a little over a month, and with each use I have to adjust the temp slide less and less often. Once I hit the temp I want, it pretty much stays there. The Maverick ET-73 is all I need to alert me if the temps get out of bounds, and I don't get awakened from a night's sleep anymore unless the Mav meat probe tells me the meat is done.  For me, the Guru/Raptor is a luxury that isn't in my budget right now, but it sure is a wonderful unit that does a great job!  

Bottom line:  don't hesitate to get the BS--the learning curve is easy and the smoker is versatile and reliable! [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

If your basic purpose is to cold smoke, then the slide temperature control will not be an issue. You will be either smoking with the heating element unplugged or the slider to the far left position.

I use to use, and at times still use my water smoker; but find the BS the easiest smoker to maintain temperature, but it is not maintenance free. For me the BS is the luxury, and the Raptor/Guru is a convenience.

As Bill states, many have the adjustments down pat, but I find that changes in the ambient temperature and other weather conditions has an effect on the internal temperature of the BS, which requires manual adjustments. I do stress the temperature adjustment requires a lot less maintenance than a charcoal smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)