Buffalo Chicken Sausage

Started by Smokin Soon, February 12, 2009, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I'm going to try my hand at some chicken sausage with some heat. I was planning to use the Soy concentrate as a binder as it will be quite lean. I do remember reading a recipe a while back that called for
4 raw eggs to be mixed with 5 lbs of chicken. Would that have a binding effect or just for flavor? Also, would splitting the mixture of chicken between thighs and breast be better?

FLBentRider

I think a mix of white and dark meat will give it a good flavor.

All white meat can get dry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

SS

Here is a link to a bunch of recipes over on Len Poli's site. If you scroll down the page there are a fair number of recipes for chicken sausage which may give some ideas. I've never done any sausages with chicken so I'm not much help.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I just made some Turkey Sausage with Apple and Colby Cheese. I used turkey thighs with all skin and fat removed. To maintain moisture, for 5 pounds of ground meat I used 2.5 oz. of Soy Protein Concentrate, and about one cup of liquid that was call for in the recipe. I found that piece of information in Kutas' book; it a substitute for "fat replacer". I mixed the liquid with the Soy mixture prior to adding it to the meat. The final result was a texture and moistness that was excellent.

I prefer dark meat but if not that; I would go with a dark and white meat blend. Eggs would have a binding effect, but if you have the Soy Protein Concentrate you can skip the eggs if your goal is to make the sausage as lean as possible.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

SS

I think i am going with FLB and Habs on this about white and dark meat mix. Dont think i would use eggs in sausage, bad, maybe just me.

I do what Habs does, add my dry to the water and mix it up this way you dont have any dry clumps in the mix. And i use distilled chilled water.

Have some stick meat in the fridge overnite, going to stuff sometime today, wife goes thru em like crazy  ;D

nepas