Fiery Carrot Dip

Started by seemore, January 31, 2009, 02:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Seemore found this recipe a couple years back, and we have made it a couple times.  It is not really spicy, and I would like to know what I can use to kick it up.  Here is the basic recipe:

2 lbs carrots, cut in 3-inch lengths
1/4 C plus 2 T EVOO
1/4 C red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T honey (optional)
1 1/4 t harissa or other chile paste (I have not found harissa yet, so I used annatto seed paste)
1 1/2 t ground cumin or caraway (I use cumin - personal favorite)
1/2 t ground ginger
Salt to taste
1/4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
3 pitted black olives

Bring saucepan of salted water to a boil.  Add carrots and cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 20 minutes.  Drain.
Transfer the carrots to a food processor.  Add the EVOO, vinegar, honey, harissa paste, cumin and ginger and process to a smooth puree.  Season the dip with salt.
Scrape the dip onto a platter or into a bowl.  Scatter the feta cheese and the black olives on top and serve.

What can I use in place of/or add to this recipe to make it a little spicier?

Thanks,

Mrs Seemore

deb415611

I just found this on about.com:

Harissa is a hot chili paste that is commonly found in North African cooking, mainly Moroccan, Algerian, and Tunisian cuisine. It is added to couscous, soups, pastas and other recipes. It can also be purchased in Middle Eastern stores in a can.

For a very spicy harissa: use a blend of cayenne, chile de arbol, or cayenne with a milder chile like ancho chilies

For a medium spiciness: use a blend of New Mexico chilies with guajillo chilies

I think I would add some cayenne & ancho chilies

Smoking Duck

I agree with Deb..........I would fire it up with some cayenne and some chile powder.  If you have some white ground pepper, throw that in as well.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smoking Duck

Also, maybe dice up a habanero pepper or throw it in while you got the stuff in the food processor.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I have some peppers that will really fire it up  ::) Oh never mind, I would not do that to my friends.  ;D

I agree cayenne is pretty hot, habs are even hotter. You'll have to experiment with how much to use because everyones heat level is different.

If you want a more mild yet spicy dip, get some chipotles in adobe and puree a pepper or two with some of the adobe. I think it would go well in a dip.

There is also a Thai spicy chili sauce that its supposed to be pretty hot. I do not know the name though, I think it has a chicken or some kind of bird on the label. I've never bought any myself but I know others that have used it and liked it.

Just thinking out loud here...... some horseradish or wasabi might be good also.

Buck36

seemore

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I never thought of chipotles in adobo sauce, nor Thai sauce.  Of course, I could use a habanero pepper..... :o
Buck 36, thanks for the recipe from Alton Brown.  He is one of my favorites on the Food Channel, and I just happen to have some baby carrots on hand......
Have a great Superbowl Sunday, everyone!

Gizmo

I have made this Harissa (North African) sauce before for a rack of lamb.

2 tablespoons of hot Paprika
3 cloves of garlic coarse chop
2 teaspoons of coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 teaspoon of ground corriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup evoo
1 tablespoon of gresh lemon juice.
2 tablespoons of hot water.
Blend/puree in a blender.
Adjust seasonings to taste.

The chili paste with the rooster on it that Pensrock is referring to is Sriracha.  You should be able to find it in the Asian isle or on most fast food Chineese restaurant tables  :).  It is great stuff. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Looking at your recipe, without adding the harissa the only thing that you used that is spicy is the ginger. The annatto seed paste is pretty bland and is mainly used for coloring, and to me it also has a slight acrid taste. I like African cuisine, especially East African; and I would start adjusting the recipe with the suggestion that Debbie posted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)