tsquared

Started by Oldman, January 08, 2005, 11:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

You posted: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm doing a double batch of smoked onions for some smoked onion soup that I'm taking to our supper club on Saturday. Love that recipe.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So how about sharing that recipe or is it an Ole family secret? [:D]
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

It's posted in the vegie section but here it is.
4 large onions cut into 3/8 " wide rounds and smoked for about an hour

3Tbsp butter

1/4 cup olive oil

2 cloves garlic finely minced

1 tsp kosher salt

2 tsp sugar

black pepper to taste

1 cup red wine

1/4 cup all purpose flour

6 cups beef or vegie broth

1 cup of heavy cream (I used milk)
Melt butter, add olive oil. Heat and add onions to carmelize over med-high heat for up to half an hour.Add the garlic, turn down heat and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, sugar. Add the red wine and reduce to a jam like consistency. Add flour, stir well and add broth a cup at a time. simmer for 30 minutes, add cream and heat to almost boiling. Enjoy. (I got this recipe from Barbecue Secrets by Ron Shewchuck.)

I've done this once and it was great. It's a good way to fill up your smoker if you are only doing one rack of something, then you can chuck the smoked onions in the freezer to use whenever.
Tom