Jalapeno and Cheddar Vension Sausage....The Sequel

Started by Caribou, January 31, 2009, 09:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Remember when I made my first ever post to this forum last year?
Every one was so welcoming and helpful.  And they all helped me with my first attempt at sausage.
Here's the thread:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8402.0
Well, today I am making my second batch of jalapeno and cheddar venison sausage...it's in the smoker right now.
But this time I'm using HiTemp cheddar cheese from Butcher-packer and hog casings instead of the collagen casings that I used last time.
I have to admit that when I first opened the package of casings they did weird me out a bit.
But once I started to work with them I liked them better than the collagen ones.  Much more forgiving.
I will take some pics when they are done.
Carolyn

pensrock

It sounds great, can't wait for them to arrive.  ;) ;D

Mr Walleye

Carolyn

You'll like the hog casing better for sure.

Your sausage sounds great! We'll be sitting here droolin'... waiting on the finished pictures!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caribou

Finally got the sausage done it came out really good but I think next time around I want to add more cheese.
I had one heaping cup of cheese to 3 pounds of meat.  Does anyone have a ratio they use that they could recommend?
Here's a picture of them before going into the smoker.  I'm assuming they all have a curve because of the nature of the hog casings :-\

Here they are all done...notice one is missing!  My family ran off with one and dragged it off to the family room! :D

Carolyn

deb415611

Carolyn,

Those look great!   I would follow the family into the family room and grab some before it's gone.

Deb

Piker

I usually add 1 lb. per 5 lb.0f meat. Its enough to taste it amd see it ut it is not really lots. This is reg. cheddar  so hi-temp may show up more. We cannot get it up here so next batch I am going to increase it until I get it to where I like it. Dave

Smokin Soon

Deer meat seems to absorb more spices than most. The batches I have done were with Pepper Jack high temp cheese, but I add a bit of fermento to give it a
tangy taste, like a twist of white vinegar. Just a matter of personal taste. Bad hunting season in northern ca, so not much practice this year.

Caribou

Thanks Deb!  I do need to hide them better next time! :D
Thanks for the info Dave, my ratio would only be a 1/2 pound of cheese to 3 pounds of meat, so I think I'll try something like you are doing next time around.
I did my first batch with regular cheese and made my chunks of cheese big and kept the smoker at 165F in hopes to keep as much of it "visible" as possible.
Before buying the HiTemp cheese the thought crossed my mind of possibly using a reduced fat cheese because I always hear folks complaining of how it doesn't melt well.
Maybe it would not be so inclined to melt in a smoking situation? :-\
Carolyn

Caribou

Thanks SmokinSoon,
I have often heard of Fermento being used in venison snack stix...I'm going to have to try some of that.
The Pepper jack sounds good, too!
Guess I got a couple new things I want to try now! :D
Carolyn

drano

Carolyn
Looks like those turned out great!
Yep, sausage making is fun, and it sure tastes good too.
get smokin
drano

Gizmo

Carolyn,
Those look great.  I am surprised only one was missing.  I'd have only left one personally.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

It was either the LEM or another supplier that recommended 10% cheese; so that would be 1 pound cheese for every 10 pounds of sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

I had almost 15% cheese and it seemed a little scant.
But I know it's probably a matter of taste, too.
I'm taking some of these to a Super Bowl party today, guess I'll just have to make more! ;)
Carolyn

Smoking Duck

The sausage looks great, Carolyn!  I've really gotta get off my butt and make some of this.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caribou

Thanks Marc!
You should make some!
It disappears around here really fast, along with the jerky.
Now that we are using our BS like we should, we've never eaten through two deer so fast in our lives.
But we're not out yet.  It just seems like I usually have some of last year's deer in the freezer when we get new deer.
Our processor did a great job on this particular sausage but I was never excited about his breakfast sausage or bratwurst.
We've been making our own breakfast sausage for the first time ever and it's wonderful.
I've gained so much useful information from the wonderful folks on this forum it really has changed the way we do things with all the meat we get around here.
(Both deer and beef).
Carolyn