What cut of pork to mix with venison?

Started by mheath, February 07, 2009, 02:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mheath

I know I need something fatty, but what should I grind up?  When I go to the supermarket they have pork butt, that looks pretty fatty.  any other suggestions?

pensrock

When making venison sausage all I use is pork butt. If you need/want more fat ask for pork fat.

NePaSmoKer

Same here, pork butt. if its too fatty just trim it up.

nepas

Piker

I used to use fresh picnic shoulders which was approx. 60/40 meat fat but now I have found a place that sells ground pork 70/30 for 1.50 lb. Just takes a lot of work out it as the picnic had to be skinned and then cut up and ground. Works great.

MRH

What the others said is right on.  This year I mixed 3 lbs deer with 2 lbs ground beef, then 1 lbs ground bacon.  It is really good to use as a straight burger for a sandwich.  But I bet it would make a awsome fattie  (I should give it a try)  So maybe mixing with ground beef would work well too.  Just a thought.

Mark

pensrock

QuoteSo maybe mixing with ground beef would work well too.

If I'm making ground meat for burgers, chili, meatloaf etc, I mix 70/30 ground beef with venison at a 50-50 ratio.
For sausages I always use pork. Ground beef would probably be good in venison/beef sticks.

drano

mheath
I use pork butt (but I buy blade steak which is pork butt cut up).
If its too fatty, cut out some of the fat. 
Pork butt is cheaper than beef (and I grew up on a farm and we raised pigs, so I'm biased ;D)
After mixing/grinding up a few batches, you'll get an eye for what looks like a good amount of fat, and you can use the amount you like. 
get smokin
drano