• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Refinishing a gun stock

Started by Buck36, February 08, 2009, 09:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

Have any of you refinished a gun stock?

I have a Remington Sportsman 58 shotgun that has seen better days. The finish is beat up from use. My dog also found it under the bed and it now has some decent scratches.  The dog is testing me!!!

I figured this would be a good time to try my hand at refinishing. I have refinished furniture and figured it can't be too big of a stretch. Do these links seem correct?

Is there any tips I should know?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aastockrefinish.htm

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/jim-carmichel/2007/09/refinish-your-rifles-stock

love the smoke

Yes I have done around 5-6 of them, I use the truoil and they turn out very nice I will see if I can find a picture of some of them and post it later

LTS
LTS

Smoking Duck

Yep, that looks like the process on the 2 that I have done.  I actually enjoy doint it myself.

Good luck!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I have only done one an old Remington model 788. Not much of a finish to speak of on the gun new. Used the Truoil and it came out great.

love the smoke

Just a few of my collection that have been finished to some degree

LTS

FLBentRider

Nice lookin' shootin' irons, LTS.

I did a complete refinish from a kit a long time ago. Stock refinish, re-blue the barrel, etc...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buck36

Thanks for all the input. it should be a fun project.

Love the Smoke -

Those are pieces of art! If my shotgun looked that nice I don't know if I would have the heart to sit in the muck with it. Incredible looking guns!!

love the smoke

I built/ made these for  hunting and they all have had at least 1500-2000 rounds through them at a minimum some probably 3-4 times that many. Have shot a lot of Prairie Dogs with these rifles

LTS 
LTS

smokeitall

Beautiful guns LTS, I hope to have a collection that nice some day.

Buck36

Those guns are even more amazing after knowing you built them yourself. 

Is the stock on the bottom gun made from zebrawood?

Smoking Duck

I actually had a knife that's handles were made out of that same exact wood (the name escapes me now).  Was made by a guy up in Idaho who builds custom knives.  I had him take one of my Schrade knives and replace the old delrin handles with that wood.  Unfortunately, it was lost in the fire  :'(

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

I refinished one back in the late 70s.  For the final finish sanding, I used steel wool and the actual finish was with hand rubbed linseed oil (if my memory even works back that far).  It was an old old process, very labor intensive to get the right finish.  I am sure the Truoil is a much faster product than the old linseed oil. 

In the link with the instructions, the technique for raising dents is a good one.  I use a steam iron on wood working.  It does a great job of raising the dents (i.e. swelling the wood).  As mentioned, it does raise the grain and you will need to sand afterward. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Quote from: Gizmo on February 09, 2009, 10:04:03 PM
I refinished one back in the late 70s.  For the final finish sanding, I used steel wool and the actual finish was with hand rubbed linseed oil (if my memory even works back that far).  It was an old old process, very labor intensive to get the right finish. 
Would that be with a shellac and a little oil and called French Polishing?

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

Quote from: Smoking Duck on February 09, 2009, 08:35:31 PM
I actually had a knife that's handles were made out of that same exact wood (the name escapes me now).  Was made by a guy up in Idaho who builds custom knives.  I had him take one of my Schrade knives and replace the old delrin handles with that wood.  Unfortunately, it was lost in the fire  :'(
Diamondwood?  I make my daughter pens from it.

The stocks all look to be laminated - more stability.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordiniare'

Caneyscud

Quote from: love the smoke on February 09, 2009, 05:49:45 PM
I built/ made these for  hunting and they all have had at least 1500-2000 rounds through them at a minimum some probably 3-4 times that many. Have shot a lot of Prairie Dogs with these rifles

LTS 

What's next a Schuetzen or a 50-90 Sharps?

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller extraordinaire'