Do you ever use BEEF to...

Started by Wattles, February 09, 2009, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wattles

"cut" deermeat with for snack stix???

seems like most recipes and most of my online research calls for adding pork to venison rather than adding beef; though intuitively i would THINK beef might be a better fit for venison snack sticks or ground meat deer jerky?

thoughts anyone?

NePaSmoKer

Yes i have cut beef with venison. I use 75/25 for the fat content in the gm. On most sausage and sticks you can use either. Sometimes when cutting beef into the venison you might have to use a binder like non-fat dry milk or soy protein powder to cut the shrinkage down.

I am going to make all beef sticks this week.

neaps

drano

Wattles
Yes, you can--it all tastes good.
I use pork because I can get pork blade steak (butt cut into steaks) for about 1/2 the price of beef.  Those steaks are easy to cut then grind--remove the bone, and slice up. 
If you want beef, I'd recommend chuck.  Its the same cut from the shoulder as butt is on a pig, so it's got fat in it.  As you cut up the meat, and you think its got too much fat, cut some of it out and freeze it for a later batch of something. 
get smokin
drano

Caribou

Hi Wattles!
The processor we use to do our deer automatically adds 15% beef suet to our ground venison.
I have made smoked venison sausage without adding any more fat to it and it comes out great.
With the fresh sausage I have had to add some pork fat to that to keep it from getting too dry.
Because it renders out more fat when cooked at higher temps.

Carolyn

unclebuck

I have used beef that they normally throw into "regular" grind and mix it with moose, elk, and deer.  It is quite fatty and blends into the wild meat quite nicely.  Like drano said, pig is usually a lot cheaper than steer.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Wattles