beef roast - pulled beef

Started by smokepusher, February 24, 2009, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokepusher

OK question,

Has anyone out there ever smoked a beef roast (like chuck or other cut) and had it pull apart like pork butt. I am a pork guy but my wife is not, but loves beef. I have made pork butt roasts on numerous occasions with great results and would love to find a beef recipe that would turn out like pulled pork.

Any ideas let me know, I am all ears.

bflosmoke

I have had the point from a brisket turn out moist and tender enough to pull. If I remember 6 hrs mesquite and another 12 in oven at 225
BFLO

FLBentRider

I'd get a pot roast or eye round and do it long low and slow, like a brisket.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

In deference to the Central Texas Brisket Boys, I've been trying the hotter temps for shorter times.  Some really good brisket I've had recently, the guy said he only cooked it 4 hours at 275 and then dumped into a cooler.  I suspect the cooking temp was higher than 275.  I tried one in a stickburner at 275 (part of the time was lower than 275 - due to wind, I was having a heck of a time keeping the temp. at 275 for more than a few minutes) for 4 hours and then wrapped it in foil and left it in the smoker while it cooled.  Was done, and had a smoke ring and all that, but didn't have the tenderness I wanted.  So wrapped it back up and put in oven at 250 for 3 more hours.  There was a skin-on shoulder I was doing at the same time and had to do the same thing.  Both were pull apart tender at the end.  Thinking about doing a couple of small chuck at 275 to 300 this weekend to 195 and then FTC.  Just experimenting in prep for a short (5 hour) contest I have in Sept.  If I had a BGE, I'd use it like an oven (preheated to 300 or so) to finish them off (foil wrapped) instead of FTC'ing.
I'm going to experiment more with the brisket though.  I'd love to be able to get a tender brisket in 5 hours without going to an oven to finish it off. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"