• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Real Butter Question?

Started by projump, February 13, 2009, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

projump

I like to use real butter instead of margarine or the spreads in a tub. I will put a stick of butter on a saucer and leave it on the countertop until it's gone, usually a 3-4 day time period.This way it is soft and spreads easily on toast or bread. Now for the question. Does anyone else do this? Are there any potential negative health effects?  Should the butter be put back in the refrigerator? I have never felt ill or anything from room temperature butter. Comments anyone?  :)   Thanks, projump
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

Smoking Duck

You're fine doing it that way.  Many folks do it that way.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

We leave it out, usually in a covered butter dish.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oyènkwara

I leave mine out too .... Last I checked, I'm still alive....  ;D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Oyènkwara on February 13, 2009, 08:12:21 AM
I leave mine out too .... Last I checked, I'm still alive....  ;D

When was the last time you checked?  You're not the psychiatrist from the Sixth Sense, are you?  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

love the smoke

I leave mine out too  :o I have seen these little devices (for lack of a better word) that you put the butter in and turn it upside down and it submerses in water that is room temp ?  ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-284-Butter-Keeper/dp/B0000VLURQ/ref=pd_sim_k_2

LTS
LTS

HCT

I do it all the time but mine won't last 3-4 days. :P
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

bflosmoke

We leave it out also but I have a nephew who is a chef and he says its not a wise thing to do. It can go rancid if you dont refrigerare.
BFLO

Kummok

Butter?? What's THAT?!?!?!?
s/
Anonymous Cardiac Patient
;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Been doing the butter on the counter for at least two generations (not so much me lately!), but gotta admit that it finally killed my dad....at age 91.  ;)

NePaSmoKer

We leave ours out in a covered butter dish.

nepas

sodak

Butter in butter dish on counter...I suppose it could go rancid at some point...but it's never around long enough.

Mr Walleye

Interesting question ProJump!

I found this link on a quick search to a site called "Chow" and they have an article on it here...

http://www.chow.com/stories/10807

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

projump

Hey, thanks for all the info. I'll keep leaving it out on the counter. I'm going to buy a covered butter dish.
Again thanks for the replies and keep the smoke rolling.  :)
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

Phone Guy

I thought I would add my $.02. If you are using Butter that is salted or lightly salted (Paper wrapped) then you are fine. It usually will not go bad. If you have Sweet Cream Butter (Foil Wrapped) Then it will spoil. I do not know how long you can leave it out but ........ you will know.

Caribou

Saw this on the web today and had to add it to this thread.
It's a container for keeping butter out, don't know how it differs from a regular butter dish.
check it out
http://store.thestoreforhealthyliving.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TEWS&Product_Code=BK&Category_Code=EWK
Carolyn