Hot Style Beef Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 13, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 15, 2009, 06:02:13 PM
This was my first smoke with the new programmable pid so i gotta figure it out still. But it did work good.

The cooled down sticks  ;D

nepas
Question: Are you blooming your sticks?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Roadking on February 16, 2009, 07:04:02 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 15, 2009, 06:02:13 PM
This was my first smoke with the new programmable pid so i gotta figure it out still. But it did work good.

The cooled down sticks  ;D

nepas
Question: Are you blooming your sticks?

Sometimes i do sometimes i dont.

nepas

Wattles

can someone tell me what "blooming" is?  thanks

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 16, 2009, 05:15:35 PM

Blooming is letting the stuffed sticks rest in the fridge overnite before smoking. Kinda lets everything marry together.

nepas

Mr Walleye

After you have your sausage up to temp (usually 152 degrees) in the smoker the sausage is removed and ice bathed (or cold water) to stop the cooking process. Next you hang the sausage at room temp (no drafts) to allow it to "bloom". Blooming allows the sausage to take on more color (darker), hence the term bloom. Some people allow sausage to bloom for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 16, 2009, 05:52:45 PM

After you have your sausage up to temp (usually 152 degrees) in the smoker the sausage is removed and ice bathed (or cold water) to stop the cooking process. Next you hang the sausage at room temp (no drafts) to allow it to "bloom". Blooming allows the sausage to take on more color (darker), hence the term bloom. Some people allow sausage to bloom for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Mike

Mike do you bathe your sticks.

I add more paprika and smoke to get darker. I'm working on a recipe that will produce a black style stick. Sorta like black forest style german sasuage sticks.

nepas

Mr Walleye

NePas

I usually do to stop the cooking process on all my sausage. It does seem to help with the shrinkage as well. The best sticks I've done were the dried sausage stick recipe from Rytek Kutas book which does not call for the ice bath and bloom period. Although you do continue to dry them for a few days.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 16, 2009, 06:22:56 PM
NePas

I usually do to stop the cooking process on all my sausage. It does seem to help with the shrinkage as well. The best sticks I've done were the dried sausage stick recipe from Rytek Kutas book which does not call for the ice bath and bloom period. Although it you do continue to dry them for a few days.

Mike

I dont cold bathe mine either. I just let them hang with the smoker door open some. I am going to make a cardboard cooling box with a wooden dowel and a 4" pc fan for circulation. This should work nice for some Landjaeger sticks. Prob hang for 6 days.

nepas