• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Different Name, Same Face?

Started by JJC, January 14, 2005, 05:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cutterone</i>
<br />There is no quality or taste difference between aT Bone or Porterhouse steak. The only thing that makes them different is that the Porterhouse has an extra muscle at the top of the steak, (it looks like a circle). Once that disapears, it is considered a T Bone, and once there is less than one inch of tenderloin left attached to the bone, then it is considered a Wing Steak. What we usually do at work is to bone out the wing portion of the loin and put it out as a Striploin. when people ask me if the striploin is a good cut of meat, I tell them that "it's a boneless T Bone", and then show them on a T Bone what part of the steak it is.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, emerges a great taste.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Gord,

We don't have "wing steaks" or "striploins" in New England.  do you know how widespread these terms are?  Is it common throughout Canada or just in certain regions?  Are these terms used in parts of the US?  This is exactly the sort of thing we want to include in one of the topics Olds is putting together, so thanks for mentioning it.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Cutterone

I found these charts on the Beef Info Center's web page. You can download your own chart(Adobe Acrobat) and then take it in to your own meat shop and see what they call the different cuts. This is put out by the Cattleman's Association of Canada, so should be basically the same across Canada, but I am sure there is going to be some cultural differences here and there.
[urlhttp://www.beefinfo.org/OrderCentre_eng/ProductList.aspx?catalogCode=RES_CONSUMER&subCatalogCode=RES_CONSUME_BUYINGANDCOOKING][/url]
Then go to merchandising guides.
There are five different guides for the different parts of the animal.
Hope this helps everyone.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, emerges a great taste.

Ian

Cutterone:  Nice find on that site, added it to my favorites

Thanks [8D]

Ian (STEELER SUPER FAN!!!!!)

JJC

Thanks, Cutterone.  When I have a chance I'm going to put together a piece for Olds' new board project that will talk about this stuff.  I'm collecting websites to provide resources for those that want them, and this will definitley be one of the links [:)]

John
Newton MA

SUPER PATRIOTS FAN!  May the best smoker win . . .
John
Newton MA

nsxbill

Cutterone,

I agree, nice refererence to Beef cuts!  Thanks.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Cutterone

I've been helped out by the forum members on a couple of occasions, so this was my chance to give back. Hope all found them useful.