ground meat jerky, sticks, & questions on the art of jerky ;)

Started by emevol, February 22, 2009, 11:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Nice Pic NePas!

With 2 jerky vacuums (teenagers) in the house, that 15lbs lasts less than 2 weeks.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 03, 2009, 03:13:37 AM
Nice Pic NePas!

With 2 jerky vacuums (teenagers) in the house, that 15lbs lasts less than 2 weeks.

Yeah FLB it prob wont last  ;D

nepas

Mr Walleye

Stargazer

I'm giving the slicer method a shot today with a 22 lb batch. I'll post a seperate thread with pictures when I'm done.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

A friend of mine made 5 lbs of GB jerky in a different way.

He added all the HM/cure to the meat rolled it into fattys and refrigerated them. The next day he froze them. The following day he sliced them into rounds and dehydrated them. They came out pretty nice, wish he would have taken pics of the process.

nepas

Mr Walleye

That's not a lot different than what I did NePas. Last night I mixed everything up then I used one 8x8 cake pan. I lined it with plastic wrap, then filled it making sure to get it stuffed well into the corners, wrapped the tag ends of the plastic wrap over the top, then dumped it out on a cutting board, then repeat. I did 22 lbs, I think I had 7 and half 8x8 pieces about 1 & 3/4 inches thick. I through them in the freezer over night and sliced them this morning. Actually worked very well. Once everything is done I will post some pictures.

I wonder if a person could do this and freeze it for a period of time before finishing it. You know, kinda build a stock pile of ground jerky blocks that you can just move from the freezer to the fridge for a few hours, slice it up and finish it off.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stargazer

Real happy everything is turning out for you doing this Mr Walleye. Its like you can do alot more jerky with alot less time and clean up.

I never tried saving any for a period of time, but then again jerky lasts as long here in our home as a nichole ritchie jail sentence.

I'm sure if vacuum sealed they should store for a long time though.

Can't wait to see the pictures and hear a field report when your done, I know theyll come out superb :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com