Digital Thermometer

Started by 2448, February 28, 2009, 10:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need a new thermometer.  In the past i had a probe and ran it out the door, I would like to find a brand that holds up.  Anyone know of a good brand like that?

Ka Honu

Not recommending any specific brand but want to give you a "heads up" about a possible issue.  Here's a post I wrote on the Big Easy Forum explaining the problem...

"So SWMBO bought me a Char Broil digital thermometer for Christmas and I actually figured out how to use it (pretty much).  The remote works and emits a soft beep when it's supposed to so I thought I was good to go.  The other night, she and The Teen were over, I had some pretty thick steaks on the grill, and I had forgotten to turn on the remote.  About the time the steaks should have been done, they both said, "Your thermometer is going off."  My response (I didn't hear a thing) was, "No sh*t?  I didn't even know that part had an alarm."  Apparently all that gunfire and loud rock music back in the day left me with a pretty heavy high-frequency hearing loss.  Who knew?

The lesson here is to make sure you can hear the alarm if you buy a digital thermometer (now known as the "No sh*t thermometer" in my house)."

Mr Walleye

I've had good luck with the Maverick ET73. It's a dual probe unit, one for the meat and one for the smoker temp, it also has a remote. A number of members also use this unit. One thing to watch is when you clean the probes. Don't submerge them in water as this will destroy them. Just scrub them off.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

How loud (or low frequency) is the alarm?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 28, 2009, 11:52:13 AM

Hmmm... Hard to describe. It's fairly loud. I'm trying think of something to compare it to... I have a small portable digital alarm clock that has a very similar tone to it.

I have a detached garage and I use a fairly high quality baby monitor to have the ability to listen for any "hoodlums" trying to break in or play with my toys. I can hear people walking down the ally but for what ever reason I can't listen to the alarm... must be the frequency.

I have also done the antenna mod to mine to give it greater range.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

2448 - Something else to look for...

Make sure you get one that allows you to set the alarm for the internal temperature you want.  Some models only allow you to pick among a number of predefined choices (e.g., "Beef - Med Rare") rather than setting it the way you want.

Stargazer

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 28, 2009, 11:52:13 AM
I have to agree with Mr Walleye.

I purchased my Maverick ET73 and have loved it since.

I found the frequency to actually be very good. Me and my father have tested it at his place leaving the transmitter out back by the smoker, and the receiver has quickly picked up the signal in the decimal of seconds.

You can set about everything with this Maverick except the strength of the alarm. However it is a nice loud one I have found.

When I was smoking our holiday ham for Thanksgiving I was sleeping at my fathers in the living room, but kept the alarm in the kitchen.

This was before I got my Bradley and was still using my old bullet smoker. The old bullet smoker was very radical with its heat. I won't forget being awaken a few times because of the alarm warning me the smoke chamber was to hot.

It's almost about the same as an alarm clock in my opinion.

Mind you, you can use it with out the alarm as well.

Also, I have already found this out too with the Maverick ET73... works well in light rain or light snow. Not that I purposely put it out in those conditions mind you, but living here in Kentucky we do get some unexpected weather at times. During a smoke we have gotten some light rains or even light snow which made me worry about the transmitter. However, still working like a champ.

Main thing is, just try not to crimp or over bend the wires that connect to the probes and only wipe the probes to clean, never put the wires in water.
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Habanero Smoker

He 2448;

If you are looking for a remote probe, as Mike and Stargazer pointed out many of us have the Maverick ET-73. Because it is a remote you can place the remote nearby so that you can hear the alarm. Tough you may find some restrictions on how far the signal travels and the materials it has to travel through. The setting for internal and cabinet temperatures are adjustable to your taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Ditto on the 73.  I have somewhat of a hearing loss on the high frequency and have no problems hearing it, especially if I stay within 20 feet of the receiver.  It has woke me at night during an overnight smoke.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

ET 73 does well for me. I have two of them, as I do a lot of mixed cooks. I use the first to check the Internal temps of 2 differant cuts of meat, using 2 meat probes. The second one can be used for cabinet temps and also a third chunk of meat or sausage.

Smoking Duck

ET-73 is probably the thermometer of choice around here.  You can get one at www.yardandpool.com or through Tiny Tim.  Either one of these fine folks can get you set up all nice and good.

Welcome to the site.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

thegozzzz

Ditto, I have the maverick...no longer have to jump up and look outside to see how my smoker or grill is doing. Life just gets so good!

Gizmo

Quote from: thegozzzz on March 01, 2009, 08:29:23 PM
Ditto, I have the maverick...no longer have to jump up and look outside to see how my smoker or grill is doing. Life just gets so good!

Be careful using the Maverick on a grill, they are not rated for the high temperatures that you typically see in grilling.  There are a few here that have experience probe wire meltdown.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

aces-n-eights

I have a Maverick ET-7, which is very similar to the ET-73.  It has two meat probes so i can monitor two different lumps of meat, altho i typically use one probe as a cabinet temp sensor.  Here is some more data:

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et7.htm

I've seen prices much better than what is posted on this link as MSRP.  Thought i'd toss it out there to give you something else to consider.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Up In Smoke

just got my new ET 73 today, since i kerplunked the last one.
ordered from yard and pool on sunday and got it today.
thanks for the great service bryan!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.