Never Smoked before, need advise

Started by Margareeman, March 05, 2009, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margareeman

Hello all, I have never smoked before and I am going to jump right into it. I do hope this is the right spot for this post. I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. In July I am getting married in Margaree, we want to do everything ourselves and I want to prepare the food and I want to smoke it. I am looking at 3 different types of smokers 1) Bradley, 2)Vermont Castings and 3) Smoke Vault. What do you guys think I should purchase? I am seriously leaning toward the Bradley smoker but I am unsure of the type. I am a little scared of the new 6 rack digital smoker as I have heard some bad things about temp consistency and the electronics. Can you folks please, please help me? I am going to make the purchase within the next few weeks. Looking forward to some good advise.
        Margareeman

La Quinta

Hey Margareeman...go with your "lean"!!! They are really great smokers and very easy to use...I have an OBS (Original...not a digital...don't know much about them) but friends that have the BDS are quite happy with them. No matter what you choose...lots of friendly peeps on here with great recipes and fun!!  :)

Mr Walleye

Hi Margareeman and welcome to the forum from a fellow Canuck.

First off you won't go wrong with the Bradley or the fine folks around the forum here. Lots of helpful advise. Also, if you haven't already done it, click on the smoker in the bottom of my post and have a look at the recipe site. It's all compliments of the folks around the forum.

OBS or DBS is always a question a lot of people have. The DBS does have some temp swings but depending on what your doing it may or may not matter. As an example if you mainly do ribs, butts, brisket and chicken then the temp swings are not an issue. If you intend on getting into making sausage or doing things like salmon the temp swings may be more of a concern. A number of the members here use an OBS and add a PID for very tight temp control.

You really can't go wrong with either one and many of the folks here smoke everything under the sun with both models without the help of a PID. Kinda personal preference.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 05, 2009, 07:33:02 PM... a fellow Canuck.

... and not one "eh" in your entire post.  What's that about?

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

La Quinta

And I thought I jacked threads!!!  :D  :D  :D

Welcome Margareeman (again) ...we are a kooky bunch...buy the Bradley...you will not be disappointed!!!

Nuff said...eh?  :D

Smokin Soon

Just do it, no other forums will give you the support you will get here. Check out the forums on the other smokers and you will see.

Ka Honu

Quote from: La Quinta on March 05, 2009, 10:38:25 PMAnd I thought I jacked threads!!! 

LQ - Sorry.  Unfortunately coloring within the lines was never one of my strengths.  I'll try to do better.

macattak

I think you'll find that Bradley is favored around here.  :D  The Bradley will be the most 'set and forget' of the three, and the support is 2nd to none.  It will also be the most forgiving.  The Vault seems a bit light weight to me, I don't know about the Vermont unit.  You may find the others to be more flexible if you want to grill or cook at higher heat.

lumpy

Add in the ehs and lots of duct tape!
Welcome another Canuk eh.

Lumpy

Margareeman

Thanks folks, I will be buying an OBS within the next few weeks. It is great to be a part of a group that can and will provide so much support. Thanks again eh! Here is my plan and correct me if I am wrong. I am planning on doing brisket and ham. I am looking at feeding about 100 to 150 people. I figure about 30 pounds of ham and 60 pounds of brisket, about 3 ounces each meat per person. Since I will be buying the OBS within the next few weeks I will be practicing with smaller amounts and then going for the "Big Smoke" in July. My wedding will be on July 23. Any tips on when I should start smoking prior to the 23rd. I am looking for all tips and hints. Or maybe I am just crazy to even be thinking about doing this much.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Margareeman!

Sounds like you are making good choices.

A (potential) small flaw in your plan is once they taste your food they are going to want more than 3 ounces!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

macattak

Quote from: Margareeman on March 06, 2009, 03:29:25 PM
Thanks folks, I will be buying an OBS within the next few weeks. It is great to be a part of a group that can and will provide so much support. Thanks again eh! Here is my plan and correct me if I am wrong. I am planning on doing brisket and ham. I am looking at feeding about 100 to 150 people. I figure about 30 pounds of ham and 60 pounds of brisket, about 3 ounces each meat per person. Since I will be buying the OBS within the next few weeks I will be practicing with smaller amounts and then going for the "Big Smoke" in July. My wedding will be on July 23. Any tips on when I should start smoking prior to the 23rd. I am looking for all tips and hints. Or maybe I am just crazy to even be thinking about doing this much.

OK, I'm not an expert but here goes.  That's a pretty big load for an OBS.  You might consider the 6 rack. I think 3oz. might be a bit light as well, I usually figure 4-8oz depending on the crowd.  A bunch of guys having a good time at a reception can put away a lot of meat.   You have to figure your butt weight after cooking too and you can expect up 40-60% weight loss.  I don't think I'd go with less than 5 10-12lb. butts, possibly 6.  That doesn't leave a lot of room for ham.  

I've never put a load that big on my BS - my biggest was 4 - so I'm hoping others chime in a straighten me out if I'm way off.

FLBentRider

The most I've managed to squeeze into the OBS is ~32LBS of Pork. with the loss that is about ~15LB of finished product..

I would definitely cook it way ahead, vac seal and reheat...

Actually, I would put four hours of Hickory on 4 butts, yank them and put them in the oven, put four more butts in the smoker... repeat until you have enough...

after typing all this I just realized that you were talking about Ham and brisket. For brisket, same applies for smoker then to oven.

Were you planning on making the ham from scratch, curing it yourself ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!