Never Smoked before, need advise

Started by Margareeman, March 05, 2009, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macattak

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 06, 2009, 05:27:27 PM

after typing all this I just realized that you were talking about Ham and brisket. For brisket, same applies for smoker then to oven.

Oops.  I was thinking butts too!  I get even less brisket in my OBS.

Margareeman

Guys, I can't thank you enough for all the advise. Now I am thinking and leaning towards the digital 6 rack, just for the fact of the extra room inside. Are there really that many problems with the DBS? You guys are right I will go larger with the portions. I could probably eat half a brisket myself! So could I actually smoke lets say a month ahead and vac seal, that way I would not have to use the oven, If so should I freeze whole or cut up? Thanks again for the input.

IKnowWood

Also, do many of these smokes well in advance to give you time to cut, slice, shred what you do. You might need to do the brisket to different levels as the ham.  Make sure you got fridge space.  And get a good rub on all before each respective smoke.  then vac seal them before the event.  And make sure you got youre re-heat plan well thought out. 

This is a great adventure.  I do this type of thing once a year with 20 to 40 lbs of pork.  I keep thinking of mixing it up, but its a lot of work.

good luck.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

macattak

I would vac seal cut up as it is easier to reheat evenly.  Since you're doing brisket, I'd get some practice as I find it more challenging than butts to get just right.

Mr Walleye

I agree with Macattack. When you reheat you can allways use a little beef broth with it to ensure moisture and flavor are there.

Hopefully WesTexaSmoker will comment on this as he does a lot of fine lookin briskets. I also agree that you will want to try a few first to get it "dialed in".

Here is a link to WesTexaSmoker's Brisket over on the recipe site.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Also if you look towards the end of the following recipe, Pachanga has some tips on storage and reheating brisket.

Brisket Pachanga

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Margareeman

Thanks for all the info guys, I will keep you up to date as soon as the smoking begins.