Finally!

Started by jwashoe, January 16, 2005, 03:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwashoe

Cooked some food - Brisket smoked with Hickory using the 'Dallas Dandy Brisket' recipe from 'Smoke & Spice' with time & temprature advice from these forums - tracked the internal temprature using a remote thermometer - cooked to 71C.

Good points - The smoker worked faultlesly, the meat had a great flavour. And the rain held off (just!).

Not so good points - partner doesn't like the Hickory flavour although she thought the meat OK otherwise - still there are many other woods to try.

So, in my opinion, on balance a good first smoke.

Regards

Jim

nsxbill

Last brisket I did last week was about 8.5 lbs (3.6 Kg) and cooked at about 205° F. (96° C) throughout the cook.  Smoke applied for 4 hrs only then just let the BBQGURU do it's job.  

Total cooking time approx 14 hrs then out, wrapped in saran, foil and towels and into an empty Coleman type cooler for 2 hrs.  Used Hickory and it turned out great.  

Did you apply smoke more than 4 hrs?  Good rule of thumb is that the meat won't take much smoke flavor after reaching internal temp of 140° F.(60° C.)  

I cook brisket to 190°F.(88° C.)  The door was opened 1 time at four hours to change the water and then no peeking until my guru told me it was done.

Keep at it!  It gets better every time as you become more accustomed to using it.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jwashoe

Thanks Bill - It had 4 hours of smoke - Interesting point about the internal temprature - I'll remember that it's useful to know - The oven temprature fluctuated between about 90 and 110C. I don't think that the BBQGURU is available for 220V systems which is a shame as the additional control would seem to me to be valuable.

Regards

Jim

nsxbill

The Guru controllers are actually 12 V.  Contact Shotgun Fred Pirkle at their website to see if it will work on your application.   The Raptor is definitely 110V, but again with a converter, might just work for your.  I think he is an electrical engineer, and certainly could see the advantage of use of the unit outside the confines of the U.S.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jwashoe

Thanks Bill - I've dropped them an e-mail - I'll let you know what happens.

Regards

Jim

BigSmoker

Jim,
Give the pecan a try.  I prefer it over hickory on my briskets.  A apple pecan mix is good as well.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Hate to say it again, Jeff said it right.  Pecan is my favorite.

I have done my last two with Apple and after I have pulled them I splashed them with some apple juice (1/8 cup +/-)while they were wrapped in foil for a couple of hours.  That also is not bad.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

humpa

Jim...MallardWacker and BigSmoker got me using the pecan. Now, that is all I use. I love the flavor and I'm hooked on it. Might have to sign up for rehab to get me to use anything else, especially that "devil wood"[}:)]

Hey Doc...I'm down to 2 racks a day!!!