Brisket resting tips?

Started by bigredchef, June 05, 2009, 03:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredchef

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read questions from newbies...
I've had my OBS for just days now, and have begun to tackle one of the most difficult cuts right off- the BRISKET...
Was just wondering if anyone can give me a conversion ratio for 'FTC' vs. double wrapped in foil and finished in my OBS@ 160-180*F???
Seems to make sense just to shut off the smoke generator and let the smoke tower roll a little cooler...I'm cutting my 6-7# flats in half, rubbing for 24 hrs, then smoking @ 200*F till internal reads 185-190* AND THEN???????
Any advice would be appreciated, my thanks.BRC.

Ka Honu

We FTC after the meat is cooked - not exactly as part of the cooking itself.  Without getting into specific times (I'm sure the experts will do that soon enough and it would just make me look bad), I think you should look at brisket (and a lot of other) smoking as a 4-step operation:

1.  Prep - cure, brine, rub, whatever
     2.  Smoke - usually to a max of about 4 hours in a Bradley - maybe more for brisket
     3.  Continue to cook/finish until you get the internal temp (IT) or "look & feel" you want - either in Bradley (without smoke) or boated/wrapped in oven (easier to me).
     4.  FTC for several hours - this allows the meat to "rest" and reabsorb some of the liquids lost in cooking.

Check the recipe forum for time estimates and other hints but remember that time will vary with weight, outside temp, etc.  It's done when it's done.

Hope that answered your question.

Smokin Soon

Take a look at this brisket tutorial by WTS, helped me quite a bit.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=311

jha1223

Quote from: Smokin Soon on June 05, 2009, 06:17:05 AM
Take a look at this brisket tutorial by WTS, helped me quite a bit.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=311

Hey, hey and welcome!

That right there is your starting point for brisket heaven.   I did almost 35 lbs of brisket last weekend that turned out amazing - following that guide right there.  Check it out and don't be afraid to ask questions!

The biggest difference for me from the first brisket to the second was that I learned to respect the time in the oven and the ftc.  The first brisket I didn't and it wasn't bad, but it was a far cry from the second batch.
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Ed1978

You may want to put several slices of bacon on top of the brisket when smoking it, especially on the flat part, just to make sure that it doesn't get dry. After smoking, I usually move the meat (minus the bacon this time) to house oven, put some apple juice into the pan, cover it with aluminium foil, and bake till IT 190F. The last brisket I made couple weeks ago came out perfect. Very very juicy and super tender, not dry at all.

bigredchef

Great advice guys, and thank you for it. I have two more slabs o' flat in the fridge tonight, resting comfortably after a liberal rub down. Putting the smoke to them tomorrow during my 16hr. shift. Will keep everyone posted on my results! Once again thanks for the welcoming tips. BRC. ;D

bigredchef

Well guys, thanks for all the advice and tips, they've worked out well this week. I've had the pleasure of playing with my OBS every day, throwing everything I could at it. My second brisket came out way better than the first, and was even better slicing cold the next day, reheated in a little beef stock and dipping sauce. Here's a few photos from my "Bradventure" so far....BRC  ;D ;D ;D

jha1223

WOW!  Looks like everything turned out great.  Very nice looking food!
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

Caneyscud

bigred

Ya dun good!  Them are some mighty tasty looking eats.  Makes me really with I had taken time to smoke something this weekend!  I've got major hunger urges now! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Then's look great

This smoking thing is addictive, aint it. Makes me think what to do next.