Amish Whoopie Pies

Started by NePaSmoKer, March 08, 2009, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Quote from: deb415611 on March 11, 2009, 03:51:47 AM
Quote from: seemore on March 10, 2009, 05:47:38 PM
I've never made whoopie pies, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to try them............

It's a must.  They are really good!

HCT -  I have never made them with butter.  As much as I hate using shortening this is one recipe that I personally wouldn't sub butter for shortening.  If you used butter they would spread out more and the texture would be different.  I think they would be good but I'm not sure I would think of them as whoopie pies. 
Quote from: FLBentRider on March 11, 2009, 03:55:30 AM
I ran out of shortening for a filling batch and had to sub butter.

They were still good, a little different texture.

I'm not a big fan of shortening either,I luvs my butter. ;)
FLB, what kind of texture, fluffier or crispy?
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

A whoopie pie is like a sandwich, but made with two soft cookies with a fluffy white filling. Traditional whoopies pies are made with vegetable shortening, not butter. The original and most commonly made whoopie pie is chocolate.

nepas

FLBentRider

The filling made with butter was less fluffy, more creamy than the filling made with shortening. And a little less white.  ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Thanks FLB, that's half my question answered. ;) :)
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HCT on March 10, 2009, 01:52:12 PM
Hey nepas, have you made them using butter?
Did you use butter in the batter? I would think they come out soft using butter.
Just thinking out loud. ;)

No i only use shortening. Butter will make the batter not as fluffy and the cream taste different. They do make butter flavoring you can add to the filling.

My Amish friends wife only uses shortening too.

nepas

nepas

HCT

Okay Nepas, I'm in the middle of baking off the cookies. Got to put them on hold for now, got to watch my grandkids. Boy, making them in circles takes some time. :D :D
Yup, used all shortening.
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HCT on March 13, 2009, 07:33:09 AM
Okay Nepas, I'm in the middle of baking off the cookies. Got to put them on hold for now, got to watch my grandkids. Boy, making them in circles takes some time. :D :D

Just use a large spoon, drop the batter on the cookie sheet and swirl the batter into a 3" circle.

nepas

deb415611

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 13, 2009, 08:08:59 AM

Just use a large spoon, drop the batter on the cookie sheet and swirl the batter into a 3" circle.

nepas

I use an ice cream scoop

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: deb415611 on March 13, 2009, 08:50:45 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 13, 2009, 08:08:59 AM

nepas

I use an ice cream scoop

Me too Deb

nepas

HCT

They're done. Came out great. Only got 12, 3" whoopies and the texture was good. Used 2 Tbs for each.
Grandkids loved them. Mixing the creme was a chore but worth it.
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HCT on March 13, 2009, 11:34:12 AM
They're done. Came out great. Only got 12, 3" whoopies and the texture was good. Used 2 Tbs for each.

I use a small electric hand mixer for the cream. Sometimes i add nutmeg and cinnamon to the cream for a different taste.

nepas

HCT

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 14, 2009, 05:07:57 AM
Quote from: HCT on March 13, 2009, 11:34:12 AM

I use a small electric hand mixer for the cream. Sometimes i add nutmeg and cinnamon to the cream for a different taste.

nepas

Yeah, I did too. I mixed it a little by hand first to stop the splatter, still had some but the dogs loved it.
I know the ice cream scoop would be the tool to use, mine is broken that's why I used the tablespoons. Like I said, they came out great. I also use the silpat for the baking, great tool.
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Those mats a nice. My Amish friends wife uses a convection air oven to do her baking. They sell at a stand in the front of their farm and at a couple farmers markets. We have a convection oven so the bake time is faster and i realy got to watch so i dont burn the whoopies  ;D

Looks like you got em down though.

nepas

deb415611

Rick,

There is something wrong with your receipt - it makes 5 not 9 ;D

I figured that I better bake for the teenager.  The puppy has been getting more homemade treats than he has.

Deb

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: deb415611 on July 02, 2009, 01:13:15 PM
Rick,

There is something wrong with your receipt - it makes 5 not 9 ;D

I figured that I better bake for the teenager.  The puppy has been getting more homemade treats than he has.

Deb

Deb

you must have done the same thing my wife did when she made em. I use a regular spoon and swirl them into 2" rounds. The flatten and puff up.

nepas