Habs Syracuse Salt Potatoes.......

Started by Mr Walleye, November 28, 2008, 07:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Let me tell you what happened with mine.  I thought the pot I had to cook them in would be big enough to handle a double load which is 6 lbs of potatoes, 16 cups of water and 28 oz of salt.  I was wrong  :'(

I had double the water and double the salt but could only fit 4.5 pounds of potatoes.  The potatoes still came out just fine, but my stove top looked like something out of the Dead Sea when I finished  >:( ;D

There was about a 1/4 inch base of dried salt all over the stove top.  Guess who had to clean it?

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

SS

Well I finally got around reading the low salt recommendations. First this kit uses less salt to begin with. They use 12 ounces of salt, per 2 quarts (8 cups); so you already know I will be going to the cupboard to get my extra 2 ounces of salt. :) Since I've been making them myself, I've used the Cook's Country recipe. I don't know how much my mother use to use, or how much salt came in the kits made years ago, or how much salt is use in the ones I buy at the fair. So use this information for what it is worth, because they also say on the package; "...Even without salt these potatoes taste great." Reducing the salt will still produce less salt crystals on the outside, but I don't believe you will get the same texture.

Low salt cooking according to the label directions.

Reduce salt by 66%:    Increase water to 3 quarts; and use 6 ounces of salt.

Reduce salt by 50%:    Increase water to 4 quarts.

Reduce salt by 33%:    Increase water to 3 quarts.

Reduce salt by 25%:     Increase water to 4 quarts, and cut salt in half.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Habs

If a person was watching their salt intake (not me... should be) Couldn't you just do them as per your recipe, then rinse they well to reduce the salt on the skins?

Personally, I wouldn't want to give up the creaminess of them by reducing the salt.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 30, 2008, 03:49:45 PM
Habs

If a person was watching their salt intake (not me... should be) Couldn't you just do them as per your recipe, then rinse they well to reduce the salt on the skins?

Personally, I wouldn't want to give up the creaminess of them by reducing the salt.

Mike

I agree with you. There is very little, if any salt that would get through the skin during the short cooking time. The salt one should be most concerned with, if on a low sodium diet, would be the salt on the skin. The Low Salt Cooking would not yield the same results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I just made these today, Family in town.

O M G   are they good!!!! (and so NOT on my diet!)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

nickld

I made a half size batch according to Hab's recipe today just to try them out. I can guarantee you they will appear quite often in the future. Absolutely fantastic!!!   ;)

~Nick

Mr Walleye

They are "scary" good aren't they Nick! Almost illegal!  ;)  8)

Mike

nickld

Creamy delicious... I think I'll wrap some with breakfast sausage and Jan's rub.  Then I'll smoke them in the OBS and finish in TBE....

~Nick

Mr Walleye

Nick

Ya gotta post pictures of that!  ;)

Mike