Boiled Peanuts

Started by Oldman, August 03, 2008, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Instead of using raw peanuts - you can use regular roasted ones.  Somewhat different but still delicious.  And don't forget the cayenne!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Tried roasted 1 time. not good, you need green raw pnuts for good boiled pnuts. I buy green pnuts 25 lbs when i go to florida. bring em home vac seal em in 2 lbs batches and freeze em.

nepas

Up In Smoke

for personal consumption i use jumbo raw nuts purchased from publix grocery store,
i have been doing them so long its automatic...
i am going to do some sunday, i will scratch everything down.....
seasonings and cook time and stuff.
will post then.

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

DrtiBird

Quote from: MWS on August 04, 2008, 08:17:31 PM
Coincidently, I saw that "Good Eats" episode yesterday of Food Network. I googled the program and Alton Browns recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/boiled-peanuts-recipe/index.html

I does sound like good eats, I've never had boiled peanuts.

Alton Brown's recipe says they will last up to a week, but they can also be frozen. 

I live in north GA, but boiled peanuts are very popular in south GA.  One of the local farmers brought several pounds of frozen boiled peanuts to a reception we were having on Jekyl Island.  I couldn't tell the difference from fresh boiled.
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

Up In Smoke

oldman,
for spicy peanuts i use 2 lbs jumbo raw peanuts(from publix grocery here)
8 0z. zatarain,s or tony chachere's creole seasoning, i like tony's best.
in a 16 quart pot i mix spices with hot water to dissolve a little, then add peanuts
and top off water.
bring them to a boil then i reduce to simmer and let them cook(about medium heat)
(pretty much all day) after about 6 hours they should start to soften up a little
from then on it is a matter of testing untill you get them as done as you like them.
you can add more spice closer to the end of the cook if you like them hotter.
i added another 8 oz. of seasoning.

for regular salted peanuts i use 3/4 cup of salt dissolved in 16 quart pot
2 lbs peanuts and follow same cook steps.
i do not add any more salt during cooking because i like a light salt flavor.
some people like them really salty, but to me you can't taste the peanut if there
is too much.
if you want to add more salt you can do it closer to the end of cook time.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Wildcat

Smokinrookie's post sound about right to me and they can be frozen after the cook.  There is a guy near me that uses Slap Yo Mama (or something like that) instead of Zataran.  It is a bit on the warm side.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

shredderman

hey ya'll, i tried smokinrookies recipe on them there boiled peanuts with the jumbo raw nuts except i bought mine at wal-wart but never the less they were the best damn boiled peanuts i've ever tasted, you just got to keep your eye on the water level. i like mine well done so i cooked them about 10 hours and the time it took to cook them was very well worth it and i used the tony chachere's creole seasoning and added a little red pepper. man great recipe smokinrookie, i look forward to making them again.....shredderman

Ka Honu

In Hawaii we make them with salt and star anise.  Kind of a different taste but excellent.  If you want to try them, you can usually find star anise in Asian markets - I'd put about 2 or 3 in a five-pound batch. 

Recipe is too easy -

• wash,
  • soak (overnight),
  • wash & drain,
  • add water, salt & star anise,
  • boil,
  • drain & cool,
  • eat

Beer is obviously essential to the last step and recommended for the others.

NePaSmoKer

If ya dont have time to boil your own pnuts or just dont have access to green pnuts there is another way and they are pretty good. I buy them by the case when i go down south. The yankees up here dont do boiled pnuts  :D

nepas