Beef Brisket Bacon

Started by smokeitall, March 24, 2009, 01:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Has anyone tried out a recipe like the one below?  I am thinking about giving it a try but don't want to waste a brisket if it is not going to be any good.  I got the recipe off of the curleyssausagekitchen website.

Beef Bacon Recipe
Boneless Beef briskets
4.15# (1/2 gal. water)
1# Curley's Brown Sugar
Procedure
Dissolve 1# of Curley's brown sugar cure in ½gallon of cold water, stir well
Trim briskets of all excess fat and place trimmed briskets in a shallow pan to collect cure run off.
Pump cure into sides of brisket. Pump brisket 10% of weight. Place pumped brisket in a pan and
dry rub all sides of brisket with brown sugar cure. Place pumped and rubbed briskets in a clean
clear plastic bag and seal with twisty. Let cure in refrigerator for 7 to 10 days to cure.
Note: this is a dry cure procedure; do not add any additional brine water for it to soak in.
Smoking and Cooking
Rinse briskets off with cold water. Don't soak them in water, but rinse for a few seconds to rinse
off any excess salt. Hang on bacon hooks or put on smokehouse screens at room temp. 1 hour to
dry.
Preheat smokehouse to 130 degrees, damper open.
Place briskets in smokehouse, temp. 130-140 degrees, damper open, for 1 to 2 hours, or until
meat is dry to touch.
Turn temp. to 150-160 degrees, damper ½ open, add smoke for 2 hours or until desired color.
Turn temp. to 170-180 degrees, damper closed, no smoke, until internal temp. of 150 degrees.
Let cool at room temp. for 1 hour then place in clean plastic bag and put in refrigerator over
night to cool. Make sure bag is partially open for proper air movement. Next day slice and serve
package and freeze

Thanks,

Habanero Smoker

I have not tried the recipe you posted, but I have tried to make beef bacon from brisket flat (should have tried it with the point) using the recipe in Kutas' book. I wasn't too pleased with the results.

I keep looking for beef plate, but have not had any luck. The say beef plate it the cut that comes closest to pork belly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Thanks Habs, I think I will use my briskets for other great recipes.

Habanero Smoker

I was disappointed because I was looking for a replacement for pork belly bacon, and this did not come close to that. My feeling is if you have the refrigerator space, give it a try on a small flat or point; you may like it. Although I was disappointed none of it went to waste; sliced and fried they are a pretty good companion with eggs, they make great BLT's and Ruben's. I'm still looking for a source of beef plate. If I can find that I will definitely try beef bacon again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

My main problem has been trying to find pork belly's.  I have tried many places and most said no, and the other said why would you want to make your own when you can buy ours.  One place wanted over $5 / pound  ???  Figured if I couldn't make pork I would try beef bacon.

The search will go on though

Smokin Soon

Smoke, do you have any Asian markets with a meat counter there? They will most likely have bellys.

smokeitall

I am not sure if I have any Asian markets, I will check it out....thanks for the tip SS

FLBentRider

On a tip from here, I got to know the meat dept manager at my local grocery.

He will order what I want - Pork bellies, turkey legs by the case, etc....

My butcher, where I get briskets, says he can't get pork bellies. go figure.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!