cleaning grills

Started by freddyboy, March 21, 2009, 01:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddyboy

Does anyone know of an easy way to clean the grills?
I seem to spend alot of time scouring the grills after smoking to get them clean

WhiteSmoke

Since my first smoke is this weekend I am REALLY interested in the answer to this one...

I'm all about the food.  Not that I' havent done my time as a dish pig, just I'd rather be eating and exercising my drinkin' arm than cleaning.

Mr Walleye

I just soak mine for an hour or two in hot soapy water and they wipe off fairly easy with a scotchbrite pad.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

Walleye's got it. Spraying them with PAM before use makes them easier to clean (as does using the high-temp jerky screens from Yard & Pool).

FLBentRider

Ditto here. Soak. scrub a little. Into the dishwasher.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

CB

some fellas I know are using those pro-kitchen-type scouring stones...I'd think they could be ok on non-polished racks, but not on anything coated with either porcelain or such.  Thinking about trying one out on some cast iron I have that got some rust on them...

anyone else ever used one of those things?
Happy Grilling!

Buck36

Soak, scrub, dishwasher too

If I am doing something like wings where I use the grill and the smoker I go a much eazier route. I will throw the racks on the grill when it is heating. Everything burns off, bang it a couple times on the grate, and then on the ground to cool. Then throw them back in the smoker.

Oldman

Ranks in the Bradley just two words: Oven Cleaner.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on March 21, 2009, 06:18:59 PM
Ranks in the Bradley just two words: Oven Cleaner.

Yup!!! Works for me to Old's.

beefmann

soak.. soak.. soak.. then soak some more in soapy water ,,, then a light scrub with a scotch brite type pad to get the bulk off .. then into the dishwasher

Caneyscud

Reading this thread with interest and with eyes newly opened.  You are supposed to clean the racks?  An oldtimer told me once that dirty racks only add flavor!  Same with a coffee cup.  The one at the office, I haven't washed the inside for 3 years now.  Tell you the truth I can't tell if I'm getting more flavor or just lazy.  No voting on that!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire' 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 21, 2009, 08:04:56 PM... a coffee cup.  The one at the office, I haven't washed the inside for 3 years now.

Caney - Not sure I'm proud of it but I got a ceramic wide bottomed coffee cup for my birthday sometime in the early 80s.  It got washed once by a former girlfriend who didn't know any better in the mid 90s.  Still going strong with the occasional rinse in running water (and I do mean strong).

Gizmo

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 21, 2009, 08:04:56 PM
Reading this thread with interest and with eyes newly opened.  You are supposed to clean the racks?  An oldtimer told me once that dirty racks only add flavor!  Same with a coffee cup.  The one at the office, I haven't washed the inside for 3 years now.  Tell you the truth I can't tell if I'm getting more flavor or just lazy.  No voting on that!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire' 
Quote from: Ka Honu on March 21, 2009, 10:26:30 PM
Quote from: Caneyscud on March 21, 2009, 08:04:56 PM... a coffee cup.  The one at the office, I haven't washed the inside for 3 years now.

I know a guy that almost lost his life out at sea for cleaning all the coffee mugs in the shop while out at sea.  The chief had a cup that had not been washed his entire career.  Could say there was a lot of flavor in that cup.  I think the guy I know had to hide for 3 days before the Chief was calm enough that death was no longer on the plan, but I think midwatches for a year was.   ;)

Caney - It got washed once by a former girlfriend who didn't know any better in the mid 90s. 

I guess that was the reason she is a former girlfriend, eh?

The abrasive scouring pads do wear the chrome coating off but doesn't really affect the stickyness.  :)  The Hi-Temp screens work great and reduce the buildup.  Now that I finish most food in the oven after the smoke is done, the racks don't get the burn on build up and are easy to clean.  Dawn Power Disolve works great but is a bit expensive and hard to find at times (very popular).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

tssgery

The racks are dishwasher safe?!?!?

I've been scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing...

What about the drip deflector thing? Is that dishwasher safe?

FLBentRider

I put my V-tray in the dishwasher all the time.

In our dishwasher, we run the smoker stuff separately, or little black bits get on the dishes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!