• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How long do you "smoke" your meats for??

Started by uniman, March 21, 2009, 09:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniman

I remember someone once told me 4 hours at the most for beef, 3 hours at the most for everything else (pork and poultry).

Your thoughts?

Gizmo

4 hours for Brisket and Pork Butts, 2-4 hours for ribs, 1-2 hours for jerky, 1hr-20 min or so for chicken, and what ever the recipe site indicates for the recipes.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

It all depends......there really is no right or wrong....just personal taste.  I will sometimes throw a pork butt or brisket with 5 hours of smoke.  Some will throw 6 hours of smoke on a bigger piece of beef or pig.  I go lighter with chicken and fish but trial and error should decide how long smoke should be on something.  Smoke is a developed taste and some like it stronger, some like it lighter. 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I agree. Its a matter of taste and the kind of wood being used. In the Bradley 3-5 hours for brisket or pork butt. 2-3 hours for smaller cuts of meat. 1-3 hours for birds, jerky, snack sticks, steaks etc.

NePaSmoKer

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I also will have to say that I agree with Giz, especially as a starting point. Then you can adjust from there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

westexasmoker

Anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours.....with that special wood!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

MallardWacker

I think after 4hrs it kind has a diminishing returns...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Tenpoint5

Quote from: MallardWacker on March 24, 2009, 09:20:47 AM
I think after 4hrs it kind has a diminishing returns...

That's when things go from tasting really good to I'm not liking this anymore, I'm tasting the creosote flavor.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

I just did two butts (16 lbs) over the weekend. Had smoke going for 6 hours and no smoke for 20 hours. Overkill? I don't think so. Most of the time I only use smoke for 1 to 4 hours.

MallardWacker

Way back in the day when we first started around here there was a lot of discussion on that...might search back.  There was some great stuff back then.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Smokin Soon

Quote from: Gizmo on March 21, 2009, 11:14:32 PM
4 hours for Brisket and Pork Butts, 2-4 hours for ribs, 1-2 hours for jerky, 1hr-20 min or so for chicken, and what ever the recipe site indicates for the recipes.

Smoke time is a matter of of taste, But I'm with Giz on this one for a get started guide. Just jump in and have fun! You will figure out what you like. And remember, there are no bad smokes. It's all delicious, just take the next one to next level, adjusting smoke times, type of wood, spices ect.