Open Forum for Recipe Project

Started by Oldman, January 16, 2005, 03:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Hey All,

I've seen that a few of you have gone ahead and registered on site the Project is on. So what I've done is to set up an open forum that any and all can post thoughts, comments, suggestions concerning what we have done to date.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

I  see that no one here has added anything to the open posting board of the Bradley Smoker Data Base @ http://susanminor.org. There are several of us bustin' our shorts to create this. Yet other than a couple of folks who have post items this site no one is contributing to this effort.

It seems that many want this project but are not willing to help out. Someone explain to me why they will not help out... This whole project is for the whole group. That means YOU!

If you got nothing to add then say so. At least those of us working out butts off will know that you care. Those who have something to offer but are quite I wonder about. If you cannot take 15-20 minutes to write out what works for you then this project is dead on your end--IMO!

I find it interesting that the world has come out of the wood work for the free give away but has nothing to give back to the group.

Come on folks..step up to the pump and give us your ideas.
Olds.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />I  see that no one here has added anything to the open posting board of the Bradley Smoker Data Base @ http://susanminor.org. There are several of us bustin' our shorts to create this. Yet other than a couple of folks who have post items this site no one is contributing to this effort.

It seems that many want this project but are not willing to help out. Someone explain to me why they will not help out... This whole project is for the whole group. That means YOU!

If you got nothing to add then say so. At least those of us working out butts off will know that you care. Those who have something to offer but are quite I wonder about. If you cannot take 15-20 minutes to write out what works for you then this project is dead on your end--IMO!

I find it interesting that the world has come out of the wood work for the free give away but has nothing to give back to the group.

Come on folks..step up to the pump and give us your ideas.
Olds.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Olds,

I share your keen desire to have a lot of input into the Project!  There are over 700 members, and a whole lot of them have signed up for the raffle, that's for sure [:)]!  A lot of these folks are new to the Forum, and are probably wondering--despite our best efforts to welcome them warmly--if they would be considered presumptuous to offer a recipe or tip to the group . . .

Hey--all you guys in that category:  chime in!!! [8D]  All of us, whether we are dedicated lifetime smokers with lots of experience with the BS, or absolutely brand new to smoking (I'm somewhere in between), can have something useful to share.  If you like your recipe or tip, probably of bunch of other folks will, too.  

Our English and Norwegian friends may be especially concerned about appearing too assertive, but believe me folks, that ain't a problem with this group! [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Sorry I did not mean to sound so pointed. Well I got a few more today, and it is again mid-nite. LOL!

manxman

Hi Folks,

Think John hit the nail on the head with his comments, particular about the English and other Europeans. (including Manx, subtle difference to English!) because you guys in the US are light years ahead of us with home smoking in a lot of ways.

Just for the record, Olds, I for one appreciate what you and your team are trying to do.

Manxman.
Manxman

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />Hi Folks,

Think John hit the nail on the head with his comments, particular about the English and other Europeans. (including Manx, subtle difference to English!) because you guys in the US are light years ahead of us with home smoking in a lot of ways.

Just for the record, Olds, I for one appreciate what you and your team are trying to do.

Manxman.
Hi Paul,

I noticed you're from the Isle of Man, and I apologize if I included you among the English!  My recollection of the Isle of Man is that you guys are a self-governing part of the British Commonwealth, but not a member of UK.  I think you folks even have the oldest parliament in the world (Tynwold??) in Douglas.  The "Manxman" handle was a giveaway, of course.  All that being said, I'm really pretty ignorant about the Isle of Man . . . keeping in mind that we have a couple of English  forum members, how would you characterize the "subtle differences" between Manxmen and Englishmen? [;)][:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Hi John,

No apology needed, I was VERY impressed with your knowledge of the Isle of Man, including our Parliament,Tynwald.

I think nowadays it is a sense of heritage and historical culture that accounts for the differences, in a similar way to the Welsh, Irish and Scottish. The Manx are closer to the Celtic nations and our language (now largely defunct but making a comeback) is very similar in many ways.

In reality there are not really many significant differences, I am just proud to be Manx and it is a fantastic place to live. (and the quality of the meat is out of this world!)

Interestingly, there are now more Manx people living in America (and Australia) than here on the Isle of Man. People with surnames like Quayle (Dan Quayle!) Cain and Callow living in the US will have historical links to the Isle of Man.

kind regards,

Manxman.
Manxman

birdboy

Hey olds,
Wondering if we should come up with a standard template for receipe's??  Might help with submissions that are missing pieces of information.

Something like:

Receipe name:
Weight of product:
Prep/brine/marinate:
Instructions:
Cooking time:
Type of wood:
Credits: (Where you got the receipe or your name if its yours)

Cold Smoke

I'd love to help- but like I mentioned somewhere else my "typewriter" in the shop often these days. But soon I'll be all set and rarin' to go. I know that doesn't help at THIS particular time- but Rome wasn't built in a day...

Again to all those (Olds and the gang)--Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!!!!!!!

Cold Smoke

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>

Interestingly, there are now more Manx people living in America (and Australia) than here on the Isle of Man. People with surnames like Quayle (Dan Quayle!) Cain and Callow living in the US will have historical links to the Isle of Man.

Hi Paul,

Never been to the Isle of Man, but I've enjoyed my many visits to England, Scotland, and Ireland (where I still have relatives).  Wales is on my list to visit, and now your island is as well!

Interesting abut the names.  Besides Dan Quayle, one of the most respected heart surgeons of the last half century was a colleague of mine named Allan Callow.  He passed away several years ago, but I remeber him talking fondly about his family homestead on the Isle of Man.

BTW, why is the meat so good?  Fish I can understand, but do the animals pick up more salt in their flesh like the famous sheep of St. Michel, France?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Hi John,

Think there are various reasons why the meat is so good. There is a marked lack of intensive farming, there are still a lot of small family farms that are very often a mix of lowland and hill farms getting the best of all worlds including the sea air. At this time of year (winter)everything has a coating of sea salt on it which may influence things!

Part of it is regulations relating to use, or lack of use of steroids and antibiotics etc.

By coincidence I work in the local hospital and a colleague of mine is from farming stock. she is also a "Callow"!

She says the biggest difference is down of choice of cattle that is able to enter the food chain, most of the beef for instant are from cross breeds to give best grain, texture, fat content etc. Single breeds like fresian are not allowed into the meat production chain, others like Aberdeen Angus are.

We also have "old fashioned" butchers who hang and handle their meat properly.  

This is nothing that is not available in other parts of the UK and worldwide, it is just that it is freely available as standard over here and we don't have to go looking.

Most of our meat is exported to the UK and other EU countries where is it commonplace in London and Paris restaurants. Whenever we travel to the UK as often as not we have to take meat with us for friends and family!!!

Maybe you will get to try it some day!

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We also have "old fashioned" butchers who hang and handle their meat properly. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Nothing like good ole dry cured meat. Here in American that pretty much became a specility item about 20 years ago when some fool came up with wet-curing.

Now don't get me wrong, if it is wet cured a good 30 days @ 36-39 degrees F it is as tender as anything out there. However, it will lack some of the "nut-buttery" flavor of the dry cured beef.

My favorite is the Black Angus Prime grade, but with a total of only 2% of all beef here being a Prime grade it is rather costly.

Has anyone here ever had Kobe beef?  I've have had it twice, but with an average cost of $100.00 U.S. per the first pound twice would have been two to many times if I had been the one paying for it.

The price will drop with more pounds purchased. For example Uptown Prime offer four 5 ounce Kobe Zabuton Steak for $54.99 ($47.99 per pound.)<b> Now note that they don't tell you what cut of meat this is!!!</b> They are using the word Zabuton which means: a large square or rectangular cushion i.e. Japanese "floor cushion."  My quess is it is sirlon and not one of the top line cuts.  

$48.00 bucks for a second tier steak---No Thank You!

birdboy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by birdboy</i>
<br />Hey olds,
Wondering if we should come up with a standard template for receipe's??  Might help with submissions that are missing pieces of information.

Something like:

Receipe name:
Weight of product:
Prep/brine/marinate:
Instructions:
Cooking time:
Type of wood:
Smoking Time:
Credits: (Where you got the receipe or your name if its yours)

added smoking time

Oldman

birdboy that would be nice on the new postings or recipes. However, it does not reto to the old ones.