Sharing Recipes--any legal issues?

Started by okeejohn, March 26, 2009, 09:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

Lets say I shared a recipe for root beer carrots to my friends on the Bradley Forum that I got from a cookbook and I also site the reference. Are there any legal ramifications?

Okeejohn

NePaSmoKer

I dont see why there would be unless you posted copyrighted pics. But i suppose a recipe cop will prove me wrong  ;D

nepas

3rensho

I think if you attribute the source it's OK - but then again I'm a chemist and not a lawyer  :D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

lumpy

I would agree with 3rensho. This has probably been done thousands of times.
Lumpy

pensrock

wait a minute...... lets get back to them root beer carrots.  ;D

okeejohn

Google root beer carrots and look at Rachael Ray's recipe. Very good!

Okeejohn

Consiglieri

I've always been worried about posting recipes.  I don't know of any logical reason that the rules that bit Napster music sharers wouldn't apply to recipes. 

Consiglieri

Ka Honu

If you properly credit the source and don't realize (or intend to realize) any personal gain, you'll be fine (unless the source specifically prohibits it).

Caribou

That's good to know.  I was having trouble with a recipe one time and posted a link to it on this forum because I was afraid to post it.
Thanks!
CArolyn

Carter

I would think some of these author's would be glad to see their recipes posted here.  What better way to market than to have a bunch of people who clearly spend money on their hobby go:

"Geez, that's a good recipe.  I better go buy the whole book."

Guilty as charged.

Carter

Smokin Soon

Every author has a different approach to recipe posting. Most consider it a form of flattery. I assembled a single pdf file of all of the Len Poli sausage recipes and indexed them. I wanted to make it available to others. I emailed him and received a very harsh and threatening response. You can link, but cannot share a file. Copyright infringement is strictly up to the author.