Hi Speed Pork Shoulder

Started by Gizmo, March 29, 2009, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Here is the post I promised on another thread.

This was a combination Smoke and Big Easy for a high speed meal.
Smoker Log:
Started last night with a 7 lb Pork Shoulder, bone in, roast, rubbed, vac packed, and back in the fridge.
This morning, took the shoulder out of the fridge to start warming up while the smoker was warming up.  Turned on Smoke gen and set oven temp to max 320 deg.  Pulled out VTRAY and water bowl. 
Box temp up to around 260 deg, put in VTRAY and water bowl (hot water).
Put probe into meat, read 38 deg.

9:37 Loaded meat into smoker on #3 rack (of a 6 rack) which is just above the box temp sensor.
Set Point 320 deg, box oven temp read 241 deg, maverick smoker temp (probe located on rack) 256 deg.

9:45 loaded 4 hours (12 bisquettes) of cherry and set the oven timer to 6 hours and the smoke generator for 4 hours 20 minutes.

10:00 Food at 45 deg, smoker at 257 deg, oven at 228 deg.  Reduced oven temp to 260 deg.

11:18 Food at 93 deg, smoker at 277 deg, oven at 243 deg.  Reduced oven temp to 240 deg.

12:08 Food at 117 deg, smoker at 243 deg, oven at 223 deg.  Reduced oven temp to 230 deg.

13:17 food at 141 deg, smoker at 263 deg, oven at 232 deg.  Reduced oven temp to 220 deg.

14:02 Food at 151 deg, smoker at 210 deg oven at 200 deg.  Transferred meat to BIG EASY.

15:28 - preheated house oven to 350 deg and shut off.

15:40 - IT = 185 deg,  pulled meat out of Big Easy, almost fell apart on me, it was actually ready to eat at this point and I did have a piece that came off when handling.  Yummy.  Double wrapped in foil and placed in the preheated oven with the heat turned off.

When shopping with Mrs Gizmo.   :D

6:20 - IT = 194 deg when we got home.  Opened up foil.  Bone pulled out easy, all fell apart, very juicy inside.  Absolutely fantastic tasting.

Purpose and conclusion:
I normally do butts for 18 hours or so to an IT of 185 to 190.  I also normally do 4 hours of smoke with the rest of the time in the house convection (set to 210 deg) in a foil pan with a foil lid and 1/4 in of liquid in the bottom. 

I know many people will cook pork butts in the house oven at 350 to 375 for 4 hours or so and pull it for various dishes like carnitas.

With the amount of fat in butts, they are very forgiving to higher temps and respond well to faster cooking times.
So if you are in a hurry, I would not hesitate to kick the temps up a bit to help things along. 

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

smokeitall

That looks fantastic.  Also some good information, thank you.

Smokin Soon

If you are really into the flavor of the "bark" of of pork butt, the Big Easy does the trick very quick and easy!

Gizmo

I was actually afraid that the bark would be about 1 inch thick without being wrapped up and in that high of a heat, but was pleasantly surprised it was basically perfect.  The BE was putting out 350 to 425 deg while I was measuring the internals with an infrared thermometer.

Smokin Soon

About the Pork Butt "Bark" in the Big Easy, you can do a lot of things as far as a glaze or a finish sauce. But you have to babysit this part of the cook, as it goes fast at this point.

Gizmo

You got that right.  That is why I guess I usually use lower temperatures and the oven in a foil pan so it is really 'set-it-and-forget-it'.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Interesting.  Thanks for posting this experiment.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

CB

I'd be interesting in posting several of the recipes you fellas are developing that use The Big Easy to finish off meat first smoked. But would want permission to do so.

If you are interested to have me feature one of your cooks with recipe and photos - shoot me an email: [email protected]

Happy Grilling!

Mr Walleye

Looks fantastic Giz!  ;)

... and thanks for posting your details.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

That looks really good Giz

nepas

Gizmo

Quote from: CB on March 30, 2009, 08:09:17 AM
I'd be interesting in posting several of the recipes you fellas are developing that use The Big Easy to finish off meat first smoked. But would want permission to do so.

If you are interested to have me feature one of your cooks with recipe and photos - shoot me an email: [email protected]

I was going to post this little experiment on the sizzle but please be my guest.  I ran out of time last night and looking that way tonight as well.  Just got a new computer and haven't set up the email yet so will be a while before I can send email from this computer.  May have to fire up the old one.

Consiglieri

As always, Giz, thanks for the informative post.  I've resisted the BE, but the more I read, the more it looks as if the consensus loves that machine.  Heck, can't fight progress (at least not conventionally). 

I think I'm going to have to read up on that Big Easy contraption.   

Cheers
Consiglieri
Consiglieri

Ka Honu

Quote from: Consiglieri on March 30, 2009, 10:41:45 PMI think I'm going to have to read up on that Big Easy contraption. 

Think of TBE as an upright, high-temp, stationary rotisserie.  It's a great tool in its own right and perfect for adding a quick crisp finish to foods cooked in a lower-temp environment that doesn't provide that crispness.  It's absolutely unbeatable for anything wrapped in bacon.