Questions about cure

Started by Brisket Lover, March 26, 2009, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

It's not a stupid question Kingsize, ya don't know if you don't ask.  ;)

The cure used in most smoked sausage is Cure #1. It can have many names such as DQ #1, Prague Powder #1, Pink Salt #1, etc. The thing they all have in common is 6.25% sodium Nitrite, the rest is just salt. The sodium nitrite is used to prevent the "bad bugs" from taking over during the smoking process and making someone sick. The important thing to remember is the difference between cure #1 and cure #2. Cure #1 = sodium nitrite (this is what you want for most hot smoked sausage) and cure #2 = sodium nitrate (cure #2 is used for dry curing over long periods of time). Most "bad bugs" are on the surface of whole muscle meat and when ground become mixed in. The "bad bugs" thrive by being oxygen starved and between the temps of 40 and 140 degrees. When smoking sausage the ground meat spends a fair amount of time in the danger zone and this is why you want to use a cure in it.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

kingsize

Born to be wild but not at home

kingsize

I started to search this sodium nitrite / nitrate from finland... and what I found.. It's very very bad chemical ( Mark Adams: Grocery warning ) to your brain and you will at least die if you eat it, maybe you die twice. God I hate this "if you eat/breath/drink/watch/fu*k that you will die". But in EU it's called E250 and it's very common but almost impossible to find retail sale. But I find webstore from UK... :) Thanks again!!!!  ;D
Born to be wild but not at home

Mr Walleye

Kingsize

Your correct that you want to make sure you use it according to instructions and nothing more for sure. I'm not sure on the availability across the pond but there are a number of members here on the forum from there and hopefully they will comment to provide you with some direction.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

3rensho

Hi Kingsize,

I get my cure no. 1 from a butcher supply in Germany.  Here in Europe it is sold as a 0.9% NaNO2 mixture and the rest is normal salt, NaCl.  It's made that way so you can't overdose as too much would be too salty to eat.  It's not dyed pink and looks like regular table salt.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.