More Smoked Salmon (Best IMHO)

Started by msiler, February 07, 2004, 07:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msiler

Smoked salmon

Cut salmon into its size portions you want. Lay out skin side down and cover with rock salt for 1 hour.  Remove salt rinse and pat dry portions. Refrigerate uncovered until tacky (can be held overnight n fridge). Smoke with apple wood (Alder will work as well) @ 120° for one and a half hours. Raise temperature to 150° for another hour and a half. Finish at 180° until salmon has reached 140° internal temperature about two hours.

In the bradley I only applied smoke for the first 1:20 came out great. I know this recipe sounds too simple but it is really good. My dad and I got the recipe about 15 years ago from a gentleman who sold smoked salmon at a roadside stand on the WA coast and literally would smoke a ton at a time. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Also I was considering taking the skin off next time I do salmon, but am afraid it may get too dry. Has anyone tried this?

When in doubt smoke it.

PS... Skin off worked great

Fuzzybear

It shall be tried!

I've smoked skinless cross sections and they turn out fine - I just keep them away from the heat as much as possible so they don't overcook..well, I used to anyway...I'll try some on mine after it's delivered, set up and seasoned but a chicken will go first!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

Cool I'll try it then... some people think having the skin on is "gross"... and once in a while I try to please others with my food.... And once I though about it more objectively.... It would be handier as a snack without the skin

When in doubt smoke it.

msiler

Almost forgot about this post. I did do my last batch without skin and it came out posibly even better than skin on.

When in doubt smoke it.

tmpirt

I gave your recipe a try and let me say..."EASY AND DELICIOUS"  I was somewhat daunted after reading other recipes with 24 hour cures and brines.  Your 1 hour cure was simple and the cook time was more in line with what I have time for.  My father has smoked trout and Salmon for years using the traditional wood fired smoker and while delicious, it was very time consuming and (don't tell him) your recipe is right up there, and LOTS easier.  I don't have the heart to tell him I did it all in an afternoon.

Thank you again for the great recipe.

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Todd!  Keep sharing you experiences with us. Just a quick word of caution about calling the 1-hr brine a "cure":  it won't really cure or act as a serious preservative for the fish, but that certainly doesn't take anything away from it being a great idea for flavorizing the fish.  Just didn't want you or other newbies to think the fish was actually cured in the true sense of the word.   [8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA