salt cure with mild smoke????

Started by shakesports, June 24, 2009, 12:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakesports

Hello everyone,

New here and new to the whole smoking process. I will be buying a BS soon. I am looking for a way to cure and smoke albacore tuna. I will be processing close to 800lbs sometime in September so my outside temp should be easy to keep down. I want to salt cure the fish and finish with a cold smoke adding mild smoke flavor. I am aiming for a pretty salty fish to start and will experiment from there. Any advise on which smoker would be best and recipes to use for this would be great.

thanks,

shakes
---its not what one does, but what one realizes that keeps existence from being vain and trivial---L. Mumford

Gizmo

Hi Shakes and welcome,
Any of the Bradleys will work.  Using a cardboard box with a hose dryer is a great way to do a cold smoke with the Bradley.  The digital will require you to buy or make a longer Temp Sensor cable.  I bought one from Radio Shack and just left it connected all the time. 

Click on the link under my post for the recipe site where there are a lot of fish recipes and brines.  The smoked salmon recipe will work for Tuna as well.  I have used Kummoks recipe many times with the albies.  Also have done just a salt water brine over night and smoked but I have never done a cold smoke only on tuna so I can't help you there.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I used Spyguy's recipe on aku tuna (I believe that was the species), and cold smoked them. It came out really good.
Best Smoked Salmon (LOX)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)