Recipe for Smoked Skunk?

Started by Kummok, April 29, 2009, 12:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Hate to admit this but I actually got skunked yesterday after about 8 hours of dragging hooks n' herring around Kachemak Bay.  :'(  This was a first for me and it really sux. It was a beautiful day of fishing (as opposed to "catching") but I guess we neglected to invite the fish along this time out. Truth be told, we caught a slimy finned something but we don't count pollack as an actual fish so we're sticking with the story that we were skunked....pretty humbling experience but still, a bad day fishing.....etc!!

pensrock

Sorry to hear that, but as the saying goes......
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!
:)

bigcatdaddy

easyridinole

Hey Kummok,

I just happened to be thinking about you and fishing lastnight, that might sound wierd, as I made up the last of my Halibut. :'( The only positive thing that I can think about is that it is time for another trip up to Homer to get some more!! ;D Hopefully this economy thing will straighten out and I can be a little more confident that I will still have a job tomorrow. Pens is right a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work! ;) Wisconsin's fishing opener is this weekend so hopefully I can catch a few Walleye. They are not as good as Halibut, but it will have to do. I do have a question though, I was thinking about smoking some salmon in by BDS but a friend told me that when he did some everything tasted like fish for the next five or six smokes. Is there a way around this?

Good luck on your next fishing adventure!

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

Caneyscud

Kummock, sorry to hear about your trip, but as you said, it's called fishing not catching.  Sure glad we don't have fishing seasons like other areas of the country do.  Having never lived where there is fishing seasons, it would be hard for me to adjust.  It's kinda fun going out in the middle of winter here and throwing a fly to the trouties.  Not as crowded - might even have the place to myself. 

Never had smoked skunk, but grilled skunk once.  My best friend in High School and I got a wild hair and decided we wanted to try to eat anything our traps would catch - then we expanded it to just about anything that moved.  We were trapping coon at the time to sell the hides for date money and we'd get possum and skunk occassionally.  So if it has four legs or if it doesn't I've probably tasted it! 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

easyridinole, I have made Kummoks smoked salmon numerous times and have NEVER had anything come out tasting fishy during the next smoke. Just wash the trays and smoke away.  :)

easyridinole

Thanks Pens! I have to give this stuff a try it almost looks like candy from the pictures!  ;D

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

aces-n-eights

Hey Kummok - i was out on K-Bay last saturday and got skunked, too.  Got a couple of cod that the captain said were only good for bait.  Actually one guy - 7 on the boat - brought in an 8 lb'er and kept it which turned out to be the only keeper halibut on board.  He earned his fish as he got sick as could be right after boating his 'but.

After a couple of hours i was the last man standing.  Everyone else was either bent over the rail or in the cabin saying " i don't really feel like fishing anymore... urk".

Anyway for me it was a good day fishin' (not catching) but the other guys might not agree...
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Kummok

ThanX for the encouragement, smokin buddies! Been fishing (actually catching!) for years and this one was a first for me...kinda humbling really so a good learning experience....

I'm hearing ya As&8s....I'm sure that we coulda brought up some flatties (they're always dependable even if only chickens!), but we were out for the red stuff. Looks like frozen Kings for dinner this week ;) ;)

Easyridinole....can't help on the "everything tastes like salmon" cuz that's all I smoke. I'd hang with Pen's advice...it's experienced (and even logical to me since I grill LOTS of salmon and lots of other meats on the same grill and never run into that "aftertaste" problem....

Carter

I second Pens assessment.  Never noticed a salmon taste on any of my other food.

Carter

easyridinole

Then it is for sure on my list now along with many other items!!

FLBentRider

I did not notice any aftereffects from the salmon or other fish I've smoked.

I did notice that it disappears fast.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tsquared

Thanks for letting a few go by for your neighbors here in BC, Kummok! ;D I've been out every night after work this week checking the prawn and crab traps--usually between 100-200 prawns and a couple of Dungies. I'm going to try for some halibut this weekend--good tides happening. I haven't tried for salmon yet this year.
T2

Kummok

I'd like to say it was out of the kindness of my heart T2, but you'd know better! ;)  Good luck with the flatties...at least they're dependable!