New to smoking..feeling very intimitaded

Started by degenerazn, July 13, 2009, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

You just go Rick! That's how I started out also. Hope you stocked up on bisquettes, cause at the rate you are going, yer gonna need lots!  ;D

degenerazn

Thanks for the advice hawkeye.  Couple more questions.  Would that rub work on pork shoulder and ribs?  When I decide to sauce the ribs and put it back in the bradley, should I turn on the smoke?  AJ CYM??  About how much is a splash?  And lastly, if doing brisket and pork shoulder is almost the same, would it be unwise to do them both together in the OBS and again in the oven overnight?

Deb, I don't see your link to WTS's video.

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Here the link. It's not a video, but a pictorial.

WTS Brisket

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: degenerazn on July 14, 2009, 09:25:40 PM
Thanks for the advice hawkeye.  Couple more questions.  Would that rub work on pork shoulder and ribs?  When I decide to sauce the ribs and put it back in the bradley, should I turn on the smoke?  AJ CYM??  About how much is a splash?  And lastly, if doing brisket and pork shoulder is almost the same, would it be unwise to do them both together in the OBS and again in the oven overnight?

Thanks

I haven't used that rub on pork but don't see why it wouldn't work well. No need to turn the smoke back on after saucing. If you want more smoke flavor after trying a batch, adjust your 1st smoke time, either more or less to get the flavor you are looking for. Sorry about the AJ CYM. AJ is short for Apple Juice and CYM is plain old Cheap Yellow Mustard. For me a splash of AJ has been about a 1/4 cup. Doesn't seem to need much.
Should not be a problem doing brisket and pork shoulder together. One thing I forgot to mention, try to keep the door closed while smoking/cooking. Peeking only slows down the cook time from heat loss and needing to recover.
HawkeyeSmokes

deb415611

Quote from: degenerazn on July 14, 2009, 09:25:40 PM

Thanks

Sorry forgot the link,  thanks Habs

Caneyscud

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 15, 2009, 02:44:19 AM
AJ is short for Apple Juice and CYM is plain old Cheap Yellow Mustard. For me a splash of AJ has been about a 1/4 cup.

As Hawks said try not to peek.  With that being said, the first few smokes you are allowed a peek or two, but after that, the Peek Police will be around and they are armed with Tea Bags and aren't afraid to use them. 

Also don't feel constrained to use only AJ when wrapping, foiling or boating.  Feel free to use just about any moisture you might feel would taste good.  I personally don't care for the AJ treatment, and I will use anything from beer, whiskey, broth, lemon juice, worcestershire, Dales or Moore's, cherry juice, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, butter, jalepeno juice, etc.... or any tasty combination of the above - or none at all (my usual).   Also, many of us do not use CYM on brisket - just a matter personal preference. 

And I second the vote for salt and coarse ground black pepper for the rub (heavy on the pepper) and mesquite!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

degenerazn

Thanks for the advice.  But I'm having trouble finding a tutorial on how to make pulled pork.  From what people are saying its very much like doing a brisket but people inject it with a sauce before smoking?  I'm not too sure, can someone advise?

FLBentRider

There are many ways to do pulled pork.

Injecting, brining, etc.

a rub.

smoke.

cook.

FTC.

pull.

eat.

Here is a thread with more details - http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8942.0
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

degenerazn

Is there enough flavor if I just all I add is just Rub, no injecting or brining?  Or maybe just Rub and inject with bbq sauce?

FLBentRider

Quote from: degenerazn on July 16, 2009, 03:13:45 PM
Is there enough flavor if I just all I add is just Rub, no injecting or brining?  Or maybe just Rub and inject with bbq sauce?

Yes.

Injecting and/or brining adds more flavor and the brining (IMHO) helps the meat retain moisture, although it does increase the sodium content.

I did some pork butts before I started brining them and they turned out great.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Yes there will be plenty of flavor. I rub with CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) the put my rub on. When the DBS gets to temp (225*) I put the butt in apply smoke until an IT of 145* about 4 hours. Wrap in foil with a splash of Apple juice, Place back in smoker until IT of 195-200* TFC for 1-2 hours set on counter crack open the foil for 20 min then completely unwrapped and the butt shoud fall apart for you not much pulling involved.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

La Quinta

I can't even remember when our smoker looked that nice inside...that is one pretty smoker right now...cherish that Blue Man... :D  :D  :D

degenerazn

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 16, 2009, 09:53:24 PM

Yes there will be plenty of flavor. I rub with CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) the put my rub on. When the DBS gets to temp (225*) I put the butt in apply smoke until an IT of 145* about 4 hours. Wrap in foil with a splash of Apple juice, Place back in smoker until IT of 195-200* TFC for 1-2 hours set on counter crack open the foil for 20 min then completely unwrapped and the butt shoud fall apart for you not much pulling involved.

Hey 10.5.  That sounds good, I have one question.  How long will it take for the butt to reach 195-200*.  I hear most people leave it in the kitchen oven overnight, could take about 8-10 hours or so.  And when you put it back in your smoker, do you leave the smoke on or just use it as an oven?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: degenerazn on July 17, 2009, 12:46:09 AM

Hey 10.5.  That sounds good, I have one question.  How long will it take for the butt to reach 195-200*.  I hear most people leave it in the kitchen oven overnight, could take about 8-10 hours or so.  And when you put it back in your smoker, do you leave the smoke on or just use it as an oven?

10.5 has you going with his advice. I've been doing mine with out injecting, rub only and lot's of flavor. I'd say keep it simple for your 1st one and adjust from there to get the flavor you want. No need to add smoke once it's in foil as it won't penetrate the foil. Cook only after that. Time is always a guess. The meat is done when it's done. I'd say start it a little earlier than you want to eat because you can always use the FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) trick do keep it hot for hours.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 17, 2009, 06:59:49 AM
Quote from: degenerazn on July 17, 2009, 12:46:09 AM

10.5 has you going with his advice. I've been doing mine with out injecting, rub only and lot's of flavor. I'd say keep it simple for your 1st one and adjust from there to get the flavor you want. No need to add smoke once it's in foil as it won't penetrate the foil. Cook only after that. Time is always a guess. The meat is done when it's done. I'd say start it a little earlier than you want to eat because you can always use the FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) trick do keep it hot for hours.

I put mine in around 9-10PM, (four hours of smoke, usually Hickory) and set my alarm to get up at 1 or 2AM to empty/refill the water bowl. I leave them in the Bradley until 7AM, then wrap in foil and into a 200F oven. They are usually done around 2 to 4pm, then FTC at least an hour.

If I did not want to leave it in the Bradley overnight, I would take them out at the 2AM, but that is more work than I want to do at that hour of the morning.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!