Butt time!

Started by FLBentRider, January 08, 2009, 04:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

The Mrs. called me @ work yesterday and mentioned that since we are going to Orlando next weekend to see friends, could we take some BBQ.

Yes Ma'am!

She went to Sams and picked up 2 Cryovac pork shoulders (4 butts total): I used to trim them, now not so much...

I made up the brine last night:

Butts go in:

Add Ice - wait 24 hours:
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

If I said I liked your butts, could that possibly come out in a way that wouldn't sound strange?  ;D

That's a lot of Q you'll be doing........they must be REALLY good friends!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

sherlock

I know you are wanting us to ask what is in the jug..........................
;D

Ice, maybe?

Smoking Duck

It's definitely ice........FL's moonshine is too potent to freeze  ;D

josbocc

FL,

One can only assume that there may be some "after" photos???  I have a couple of friends from up here in Northern NY that will be in Orlando for a conference next week.  Do you think if I could convince them to locate you, you would be inclined to send a small sample home with them? ;) ;)

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pensrock

josbocc,
  Even if they did find FLB and he gave them a sample. Do you really believe there would be any left for you by time they got back home?  ;D ;D ;D

smokeitall

I use these same pork butts from Sams and grind them to add to my sausage recipes.  They are a good cut.

What brine did you use?  I would like to make some of the smoked butt soon.

Finished pictures would be great.

Thanks FL

FLBentRider

I will post more pictures as the cook progresses. This was a "real time" pictorial.

I put them in the brine @ 0730 this morning

The will come out of the brine tomorrow morning and get a patdown and a rubdown

Friday night late they will go in the OBS for 4 hours of Hickory @ 200F

Saturday morning the will go into a 200F oven until an IT of 190F - then FTC.

I will post more pics tomorrow.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

It's time to make some rub:

Grind with this:

Butts are happy - brine temp was 42F

Out of the brine - nice color!

All rubbed - double plastic wrap and into the chill-chest!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Looking good, FL.

Quick question:  What do you think of the Tone's spices?  I've gotta be honest, I bought a big jar of their garlic powder and onion powder and I am not at all impressed with them.  Just wondered if it was those particular spices or all of their spices?

Thanks!

SD

Caneyscud

SD, Realize that you were not asking me, but I'll chime in.  Have not used their garlic powder or onion powder (not a fan of powders), but heavily use their granulated garlic, cracked pepper, chili powder, and paprika.  Maybe I'm used to them, but I think they are pretty good.  Used several brands of garlic the texture of their granulated garlic and their cracked pepper and don't see much difference.  Chili powder is not my favorite, but it is difficult to get my favorite brand around here.  Paprika is not sweet or hot hungarian, but guite usable.  I also use the ground cumin and minced onion to good success.  Also like a mixture or two of there's - the Rosemary/Garlic is really good on chicken and lamb.  Some of their mixtures have too much salt to my taste.  I usually have to add more herbs to them to get where I want them as a "rub".  In their Weber Grill line I'm trying out one or two currently.  I think I've only used but one yet, and should've rubbed more of that one on.  Used to buy bulk spices from an "old hippie" food store here (man they had some good spices/herbs at good prices), but it was bought out by Wild Oats who was bought out by Whole Paycheck.  Now I buy the bulk I need from somebody like San Francisco Herb or use the Tone's selection from Sams. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

SD,
They are not stellar, but close enough for most of the stuff I do. I am slowly moving away from the Tones stuff and to grinding my own. Right now I'm going the whole foods route, I need to find an online spice retailer I like. I have seen plenty of recommendations here, I just have not had the lead time to get them online. Usually when I need some, it's because I ran out in the middle of making something....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Gotcha, FL.  I'm really wanting to get a dehydrator so I can do my own garlic powder and garlic salt.  After doing the peppers in the house oven, I couldn't imagine what kind of smell would permeate the house if I did garlic in the oven as well.  The wife would kick me like a soccer ball  :o

I got the garlic and onion powder at Sam's a while back.  Just not a very good smell or taste to them at all.  I do believe it is because it is really a powder versus very small granules.  I'll never buy them again......I'd rather buy something else at a little higher price, but that's just me.

SD

Father Tom

SD.  That is a WallyWold brand.  I have had trouble with them years ago so now i get everything from San Francisco Herbs Co.  www.sfherbs.com.  My wife has arabian horses and feeds then garlic granulated each day for fly control.  We buy garlic #30 lb at a time.

Good luck

Tom

smokeitall

FL, those are looking awesome, I can't wait for the finished pics.  Is the recipe for the brine listed on the recipe site or is it your own "secret" recipe?