Okay experts, How hot can safely run a wooden smoker?

Started by JoeHifi, November 01, 2009, 10:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHifi

Okay experts, How hot can you safely run a wooden smoker?
That is a smoker made from wood like The V8 of Smoke Houses for example.

Thanks,

Joe

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

JoeHifi

Hopefull Romantic

Hi joe

Wood will spontaneously ignite, no flame present at or above 660.  So reffering to the V8 you have mentioned (made out of wood), I would safely say dont go beyond 660 (if you can get it up that high and I mean temperature here.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

JoeHifi

Mr Walleye

HR

I was under the impression that, as an example, the combustion level for a spruce 2x4 is 450 to 500 degrees. As I understood it, the problem arises when heat (above the boiling point) is applied to it over time, chemical degradation takes place and the combustion level can be lowered down to as low as 200 degrees over time. This information is just off the top of my head but I did attend a seminar for the insurance industry for wood heat safety.

Again just what I think I remember about it...

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

JoeHifi

Mr Walleye,

Bummer. Looks like I should look for a warmer or proffer like you have.

Thanks,

Joe

Mr Walleye

Joe

I could be wrong on the temps but that is what I remember from it. You may want to do a search on the net to be sure. If I can come with any details on it I will post it for you.

Mike

JoeHifi

Thanks Mike,

My OBS is going to be plenty for now.

However, I seem to recall seeing four or five wooden smokers on this board and thought that might be a good way to expand my production.

Just looked on eBay. Saw an enclosed bun warmer for $249. Something like that could get one started on something big somewhat inexpensively. Not as good as free. So I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully I'll find something local. Strap it on top of my Caviler and bring it home.

Thanks again,

Joe

Mr Walleye

Quote from: JoeHifi on November 01, 2009, 02:44:11 PM
Thanks Mike,

My OBS is going to be plenty for now.

However, I seem to recall seeing four or five wooden smokers on this board and thought that might be a good way to expand my production.

Just looked on eBay. Saw an enclosed bun warmer for $249. Something like that could get one started on something big somewhat inexpensively. Not as good as free. So I'll keep my eyes open. Hopefully I'll find something local. Strap it on top of my Caviler and bring it home.

Thanks again,

Joe

I think a lot of the wood smokers that are constructed are used mainly for sausage. Running temps around 165 to 170. Lots of old school smokers out there that always used wood construction but I think the temps were fairly low.

Besides... a big proofer/smoker would look great on the roof of a cavalier!  :D

Mike

JoeHifi

Mr Walleye

Here is the information I was looking for. Although it is regarding a woodstove installation I'm sure the application would be the same.

"The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards call for a 36 inch clearance between a room heater stove and any combustible surface. This distance may be reduced with properly installed heat barriers such as sheet metal and brick. Check with  your local Fire Department and your stove manual for proper reduced clearances. If air spaces are not maintained between the stove and the wood framing or the chimney flue and the wood framing a process takes place called pyrolysis. For instance, a normal 2 x 4 will spontaneously ignite at 600 degrees F., if the heating appliance is too close it will draw the moisture from the 2 x 4. When this happens repeatedly, the 2 x 4 can spontaneously ignite as low as 200 degrees F. Generally this happens in 3 to 5 years."

Mke

JoeHifi

Mike,

After reading that I definitely want to start with kitchen equipment rather than a wooden box.

Thanks again,

Joe

classicrockgriller

We have a forum member named DaveA and he is from England. He takes whiskey/wine barrels and makes things out of them.

One of the things he makes is a smoker using the bradley gen.

Here is a link to his web site and pics of a barrel all set up.

I'm sure you could pm him and he would probably help you with info.

http://www.oakbarrel-furniture.co.uk/Pages/smoker2.html

He has a contact section on that web page.

NePaSmoKer

My smokehouse can use a 25,000 BTU burner with no problems and maintain constant heat at 180*

Wood starts to char at 223* and then followed by combustion. When smoking sausages you dont want to go above 180* anyways.

The V-8 is more like a cold smoker.

nepas