Don't expose the unit to rain??

Started by RJ, June 20, 2010, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Just rec'd the Bradley Digital 4 rack for Father's day.  Was incredibly excited about the unit until I read the caution "do not expose the unit to rain". To say I'm shocked is an understatement given that the unit is manufactured in BC which has weather similar to Seattle.  Needless to say if there's real danger in using the unit in a rainy enviroment I'm between a rock and a hard place.   What has been you're experience dealing with this? 

GusRobin

may get this twice since I am having technical problems between my chair and the keyboard.  The issue has to due with getting the electronics wet. Many smoke under covered patios, garages, build sheds, or buy a plastic shed fron Home Depot or other home store.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

StickyDan

Congrats on the BDS.  Yer gonna love it!
Where abouts in BC are you?

RJ

Quote from: StickyDan on June 20, 2010, 02:16:02 PM
Congrats on the BDS.  Yer gonna love it!
Where abouts in BC are you?

I'm actually located in Seattle.  100 miles to the south.  Nevertheless the weather is very similar.  I use my webber year around and am hoping to do the same with the bradley.  I just need to get this 'keep it dry thing' figured out.

Slamdunk

Sticky, RJ is in Seattle, about 150 miles south of BC.

RJ no problems smoking in the rain, as long as the unit is not exposed to it. Rain will keep the heat down a bit but other than that, you're good to go!

StickyDan

I love Seattle.  Always have a blast when I'm there.  Any good BBQ joints down there?  Besides your house?  ;)
Check this out.  Might give you some inspiration.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14245.0

RJ

Thanks for the great link and the suggestions.  Time to get busy!

classicrockgriller

Must be having flash backs .... thought I read this in another post.

Need to be careful with the wood pucks getting wet .... they can swell and cause

problems with the smoke generator.

Also keep your unused pucks in a non-humid area.

ArnieM

Yes, Bradley is in BC but the smoker is manufactured in China.

I have the original (OBS).  It's electrical but not electronic like the digital units.  They have to be kept dry, both for the electronics and as CRG said for the pucks.

I Have a Weber gasser and I can use it in a snow or rain storm - no electricity and no problem with swelling and possibly jamming pucks.

Any simple enclosure (waterproof patio table umbrella?) will work.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

StickyDan

BC?  wow,  I had no idea that Bradley was located about 15 min from my shop.  Crazy.

Indy Smoker

Caribou

Quote from: RJ on June 20, 2010, 02:02:09 PM
I read the caution "do not expose the unit to rain". To say I'm shocked
I think that's the idea, we don't want you to get shocked.  ;)
Carolyn

mics

rj,i live in  the bonny lake area,so we found a short type outside  garden shed,plastic. think its 3-4 ft deep and 6ft across.we put it on the back deck and set atable inside ,ran the electric from the outside plug into the back of the shed. added a chimney stle vent and its been good to go . leave it out all winter. no problems  so far.
fishin and cookin,must be gettin ready to retire.gamefishin.

bilder

I live in Anchorage and am going to be buying a Bradley in a few weeks.

My plan is to set it up in the garage and run a small chimney pipe from the vent to the outside.  Already have a vent hole in the garage that the prior tenant sealed up with spray foam.  Should be no problem to set the smoker up on the end of my workbench and have at it all winter long.

ArnieM

bilder,

You might want to add an inline fan to the duct to help exhaust the moisture.  It will condense in the duct and run back down to the smoker unless it has a little help getting out of there.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.