Will try brisket this weekend

Started by OTB, June 25, 2010, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

OK...you guys won me over.  Will wait until I get home, put in for 3 hours of smoke, and cook at 220 overnight, then when I wake up put in pan for braising until cooks to 185IT and FTC till dinner.

BTW...after I rubbed the meat and wrapped in plastic wrap, I tried to bend into rack and it will fit perfect.  Thanks again!!  Pics tomorrow.

OTB

anyone else want to vote on the coke or dr pepper and water vs. apple juice and beef broth for the last part of cooking/braising?????

BuyLowSellHigh

I know Coke works - DP is a wild guess.  I wouldn't go there on a first run.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

StickyDan

Sounds like a good plan but personally speaking, I would go with way more than 3 hrs of smoke.  Some say smoke doesn't penetrate after 4 hours but I don't know.... I'd give it at least 5 or 6 hrs.  Than again, I've only done 2 briskets so what the H&LL do I know???
Good Luck

OTB

Got it all trimmed up and rubbed last night, and is wrapped, sitting in cooler till this evening.

I didn't use the mustard slather, just rub.  Does the mustard keep it moist, or just add to the bark?  I might slather it before putting in smoker this evening.

I will just put it in when I get home (around 7pm) let it smoke 3 hours and cook at 220 until morning.  Then if it is not done, will put in foil pan with either apple juice/beef broth, or coke and water until reaches temp.

I also picked up a half steaming table pan to use instead of water bowl...hopefully will catch enough fat and pucks to last till morning.

Pachanga

Quote from: OTB on June 26, 2010, 11:29:45 AM
Got it all trimmed up and rubbed last night, and is wrapped, sitting in cooler till this evening.

I didn't use the mustard slather, just rub.  Does the mustard keep it moist, or just add to the bark?  I might slather it before putting in smoker this evening.

I will just put it in when I get home (around 7pm) let it smoke 3 hours and cook at 220 until morning.  Then if it is not done, will put in foil pan with either apple juice/beef broth, or coke and water until reaches temp.

I also picked up a half steaming table pan to use instead of water bowl...hopefully will catch enough fat and pucks to last till morning.

Mustard Slather on Brisket and other Meats
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0

Since you are using a braising technique, all of the above may not apply.

The difference between braising and smoking naked is described below.

I Prefer to Smoke Totally Naked - A Brisket and Ribs Manifesto
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12455.0

Braising will certainly produce a good product but the bark will be very different.  The mustard slather will need time to firm up and "cure" into a firm bark.  It may completely wash off in the high moisture braise.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OTB

Got home around 8pm PST, pre-heated smoker, and put meat in around 9PM

classicrockgriller

Those are some beautiful pics.

I see you are running a PID on your smoke.

When the probes are routed from the top vent you have a "chance" of moisture

running down the wire and causing problems in the probes.

Some people that do that loop the wire so it will drip off.

I run mine thru the door and angle it below the high point of the meat and heat sensor.

Pachanga

Well, you are off to the races and it looks like a great start.

CRG has given you good info on the probes.  Another method is to put high temp silicone sealant (automotive store) around the wire/probe juncture.

The large water pan filled and refilled with boiling liquid will help keep the temperature in range and create a moist environment.  You are already ahead in this race.

My six rack produces more heat at the rear than the front due to the rear placement of the heat element, so prepare to rotate.  I place a foil shield loosely over the rear vents to force more heat forward.  It helps to balance the heat and eliminate rotation.

There are a lot of different roads for people to arrive at similar destinations.  Do what is comfortable for you.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OTB

Thanks for the great info on the probes.  I didn't even think about the moisture messing them up.  I will put a loop in the wire, and maybe will seal them before the next smoke as well.

So I got up at 7:30am and added hot water to the pan and checked on it.  The cabin temp was holding steady at 220 and the meat was at 166.  

Laid back in bed for a while to try to get rid of the headache from too much fun yesterday.

Now at 9:30 the meat is at 172.  It has nice color and there is still a small pool of (we will call it moisture not grease) on top of the meat where I probably didn't trim enough cap off.

Now I am debating if it is even worth pulling it to put in pan with liquid for the rest of the cook, or just let it go as is.  

BuyLowSellHigh

Sure is looking great - a fine job! 

You can do either.  The two differrent approaches will both give you excellent results, just a slightly different result.  The braised finish will probably be moister and the bark will merge into the rest.  It will also finish sooner if you shoot for 195 °F and will likely  have what to me is a clear braised texture .  If you go "naked", your bark will be drier and clearly more pronounced, but the center meat will be a bit drier but with the more long, slow roasted texture.  If naked I would pull it in the 180-185 °F range and do the FTC thing for at least a couple of hours.  You will get carryover that will take you into the 190-195 °F range, and it will help preserve the interior moisture.  The bark will tenderize and merge a bit, like the braised version, but still retain it's own clear flavor.

Either way is good - just a matter of personal preference.  Choose one, keep good notes and then maybe try the alternative next time so you can decide which you prefer.  Don't overthink it, just go with whatever is easiest and most convenient now and try other methods next time.  That gives you a real good reason to do it again soon.   ;D

One method advocated by some is to go naked to ~170 , then wrapping in foil to finish in a hotter oven (300 °F) to an IT of ~ 205.  It's one of two methods referenced on the Virtual Weber Bullet ... here
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

OTB

OK..the meat IT was 180, but decided I wanted to braise for the last bit of cooking.  Put into foil pan with 1c apple juice and 1c low sodium beef broth, covered with foil and back into smoker.

Changed target IT to 190.

OTB

Meat temp dropped a bit when I put in pan with (hot) liquid, so I ended up leaving cabin temp at 220. 

Meat hit 190 a few minutes after 4pm, so off to FTC for 3 hours, with a bit of apple juice.

here is the meat when I took out of the smoker, after the last few hours in pan with liquid.

classicrockgriller

EZ Smoker

I've never done the braise thing with a brisket; I always smoke 'em naked because my wife is a bark-a-holic, but I have to admit... that looks pretty doggone good.    Let us know how it tastes.   
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.