35 LBS of BUTT!!

Started by smokeNcanuck, July 21, 2010, 09:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

Hey whatz up everyone!!  Been a while since I've been by, but I hate
being indoors when the weathers nice.  Also I have not been doing much smoking
as of late.  Any way I need a little advise from the smoking gods I know hang around here.
I am cooking 35lbs of butt for my dads suprise 60th B-day this Sat., chow time is around
5:30-6:00 sat evening.  I'm picking up the pig tonight,  My thoughts were:(insert comments here)
Luv up the butts with some CT, then rub with some sort of spice mix(Ice mans oinker rub)
and in to the reffer for the night.  Fire up OBS Thurs evening insert butts approx 8-9:00 PM
roll on apple smoke for approx 5-6hrs, rotate and monitor temp till around 195F.  I'm hoping
I hit target IT some time around Sat. morning then FTC till show time.  I have never played with
this much "but" ;) at one time, so any thought on my timing would be greatly appreciated.
I really want to nail this, as I am going to have a lot of family to impress.

Thanks fellow smokers!!
SnC
P.S I'll post some pics later

Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

FLBentRider

I would do a "test fit" on those butts.

I've been able to get 32lbs in the OBS, but it required some creative meat origami.

If you can get that load in there without them touching each other or the sides of the smoker, it is going to take a long time to get 35lbs of meat up to temp with a 500 watt element.

An alternative would be, smoke 2 -> transfer to oven. add second 2 butts to smoker.

I have done 30lbs a number of times, it seems that over that threshold it takes an inordinate amount of time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

I've seen FLBR do large amounts of butts in the Bradley.  He knows of which he speaks.  My thought was to start mid to late Friday afternoon, get 5-6 hours of smoke on them and transfer the entire load to your house oven at 225 to finish the cooking time.  Your house oven will come up to heat quickly and retain that temp level much better than your Bradley will.  I've done them in that manner many times and it works like a charm.  The plus to that is if you begin to get close to time to pull the meat and you're not at your desired IT, you can always bump up the temp in the oven and your house oven will react much more quickly than the Bradley.

Good luck and glad to see you back around here again SnC.

smokeNcanuck

I have WAY too much meat as we are grilling chicken as well(aprox 30 attending)
for those who for some strange do not like pork.  I'm sure 30lbs would be
plenty, so if I have to do some fancy trimming I can.  Do you think
my timing is ok for 30lbs?

Oven might be an option as well thanks guys!!

TestRocket

I just did one butt about 8lbs and it took 23 hours to get to an IT of 190 cooking at 210 degs. And right after that I read this thread where Mr B did two 7 lb butts in 14 hours.  So make sure you give yourself plenty of time and FTC if need be! Good luck and Happy Birthday to your Dad!

FLBentRider

Here are some pics of 30lb cooks:

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

sNc ... Good to see you on the Board. Been missing your post , but can't blame you for wanting

to play while it nice.

30lbs of RAW Butt will yield you 15 to 18lbs of finished product. At 1/3lb for each person, your finish

meat will feed 45 to 54 people.

smokeNcanuck

Ok, I cut back to approx. 25lbs of choice grade AAA Canadian "bum".pic to follow later.
Any distructions on when I should start this adventure??  Think Fri. AM
(7:00ish)would be enough time, or should I start late Thursday night.
Keep in mind by late I mean like 11:00PM(I need my beauty rest ;) ;))

FLBentRider

I'd start Friday afternoon for a Saturday evening serving time.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

I start them early enough that you can fiinish your smoke time and

replenish the water before you want to retire for the nite.

Start at 6 with 5 hrs of smoke, got to bed at 11.

If they get done a little early, hold them in FTC.

beefmann

it does  take a while to do butts

RossP

smokeNcanuck listen to what the guys have to say. I followed their advise
and my pulled pork was the hit at my cousins BBQ party on Canada day.
FLBentRider and KyNola are the Kings of Butts in my book. Good luck
and have fun with your Butts ;D

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

classicrockgriller

Quote from: RossP on July 22, 2010, 06:40:27 PM
smokeNcanuck listen to what the guys have to say. 
FLBentRider and KyNola are the Kings of Butts in my book.  ;D

Ross

I agree! ;D

smokeNcanuck

Well I cut back to only 26Lbs, the rest went in to freezer for later
Consumption.   Here is where I'm at as of now, Sat AM 8:30.
I ended up just covering with some CT for an over night soak(no time to make rub,
I know not acceptable!!)  Got up at 2:30 AM Thurs. took butt out of the fridge fired up
OBS-250F and set alarm for 4:30, tried to get back to sleep.  Up again at 4:30 to load
smoker, back to bed till 6:45 Fri. AM.  At this point I loaded up 5hrs of apple smoke, still 250F
and off to work till noon (which turned in to 3:00, temp still set at 250F).  When I arrived home
I "ran" (as I am 6'1" and 275 I use the term loosely) to smoker to find avg. butt temp was around
150F with a nice dark bark.  I dialed the temp back to 205F, luv my PID and then had to go cook
for our legion at a local ball tourney.  When I got home at 10:00PM the temps were around 175F,
I set my PID to lower the temp when 195IT was hit to 150F and went to bed. I was NOT getting up
thru the night to check, thats why I bought the PID.  When I crawled out of bed this AM at 7:00
temps were 179F but as of now the lowest one is 181F.  Should only be a  a few more hrs. now
then a little FTC till serving time. I love when a plan comes together!!  Sorry for the looong version.
As I have not been on in a while I posted a few pic of some other smokes I'v done.
I'll be sure to post finished results and pics, CHEERS!
SnC
before going in

This morning 7:00 AM

Butt for my moms B-Day

My MONSTER 15LB brisket, that got cut down to size(rest went to jerky)

classicrockgriller

Love that pic of the quadaphonic butts wired up for sound!

Brisket looks killer.

Everything looks great. Thanks for the pics.

Tell Dad, Happy Birthday from the Forum!