Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes

Started by Rich_91360, October 12, 2010, 12:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_91360

It is getting close to that time of the year.  What are your family favorites and recipes that you do in the Bradley.

- Brine / No Brine
- Whole Turkey or Separate Pieces (Bonesless Breast for easy carving? Extra Legs!!)
- Favorite Rub
- Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Inject Marinade?
- Potatoes / Sweet Potatoes / Yams / Veggies?

Share your recipes and highlights.

ArnieM

This is a side dish.  If you don't like Brussels sprouts, read no further.  I'm not a big fan but the dish came out pretty good.

The recipe is from Alton Brown:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/brussels-sprouts-with-pecans-and-cranberries-recipe/index.html

I think I would have added some bacon or pancetta.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

For the past five years, or so, the Thanksgving menu here has become fairly fixed.  About the only thing that changes are the hors d'oeuvres and the wines.  We only do turkey once a year, and this is it.  Here's the menu from last year...

Assorted Hors d'Oeuvres & Aperitifs

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. Crème Fraiche Accent
Edna Valley Chardonnay --  San Luis Obispo County, 2006

Salad of Mixed Greens on Baked Red Pears
with Gorgonzola, Toasted Pecans and Dried Cherries , White Balsamic Vinaigrette

Herb-Butter Roasted Free-Range Heritage Turkey
American Green Bean Casserole
The Definitive Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
Brussels Sprouts with Thyme & Bacon
Sweet-Corn Bread Pudding
Cranberry Grand Manier Compote
La Crema Pinot Noir  --  Sonoma County, 2006

Sarah's French Apple Tart with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Pumpkin Mousse Pie

Peet's Coffee
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Ka Honu

We're off to San Francisco for Thanksgiving (a sort of "every other year" thing) but will have lots of turkey at home as soon as they go on sale (typically for $5 or $6 per bird).  I'll make & freeze kalua turkey out of one or two and "fry" another couple in TBE for holiday dinners between mid-November and Christmas.  Might smoke one before putting in TBE but like them so much with just Cajun brine and rub that I have a tough time justifying the change.  I'll also make both cornbread and herb dressings & lots of gravy and pretty much ignore any other sides that SWMBO or others put on the table (except maybe a little sauerkraut to go with the dressing and gravy). By Christmas we'll be done with turkey for a month or so but will have at least 3 or 4 birds in the freezer (plus about 10 pounds of the kalua turkey) to last the next year.

Quarlow

Of course it was just our turkey day so we had this chat at my brothers. We know this came from my dads side but don't really know why but here it is. We always have "Apple salad" Cubed apples with raisins and walnuts mixed with mayo or miracle whip or some of each. We can't have thanksgiving or xmas dinner without it. And Yams. I made baked yams with raisins and maple syrup and it was awesome as usual.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

I tend to keep the smoked foods to a minimum during Thanksgiving. I have smoked acorn squash in the Bradley. Capon is also a good alternative or addition to turkey.

I recently made Braised Orange String Beans with Jicama, that was also good. I'll post the recipe later. I just received the latest Penzey catalog and they have a creamed onion recipe that looks good. I haven't had that in years.

I'm with Arnie on the brussel sprouts. I make a similar recipe that I got from Cook's Illustrated.
BRAISED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON AND PECANS

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Habs, I don't see that creamed onion recipe in the Penzey catalog? (at least the online PDF (7.5MB) version)   Although there are some neat recipes in it, as well as on their website.

ArnieM

I'm coming to your restaurant Eric  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

You're welcome anytime, Arnie!

I went backed and looked and that was the 2008 version -- 2009 was the same except for the wines.  Been tweaking this for years and at the point we have it now don't see any reason to change anything.  It has a favorite for everyone.  Wines will be better this year!   ;D

RadOD

Great looking menu!

Are the recipes posted anywhere?

Sorce

Not smoked but one of my favorite sides (not real healthy that's why it's a holiday side)

1 Stick of Butter
1 Brick of Cream Cheese
1lb Frozen corn

Put the butter and cream cheese in a crock pot and let them get all melty. Add frozen corn, stir and let it heat back up. It's incredibly simple but people seem to love this stuff.

DTAggie

BuyLowSellHigh

Sure - c'mon down.  Maybe Arnie can pick you on his way.

It's all pretty standard fare, except for the bird.  The free-range heritage birds are special.  They taste like I think turkey is supposed to taste and did years ago, before Butterballs.

DTAggie

BuyLowSellHigh

Now, Heritage Foods.  I used to get them from Mary's directly, but a few years ago she told me she was "tired Mary" and was giving up direct sales.  She still supplies some of the specialty retail chains, like Whole Foods, etc.  She sent me to Frank Reese, who the next year partnered with Heritage.  Good stuff!